We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El País article on castellers

USA
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
El País article on castellers

Hello all,

I apologize if this is a repeat. I don't recall seeing this article on the recent casteller threads, but of course I could be wrong. Since there is so much interest expressed on the board for seeing these competitions, I thought this might be an interesting read for folks.

…elpais.com/trans-iberian/2012/10/human-cast…

The article is near a week old, so clearly I'm also behind on my newspaper reading!

BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El País article on castellers

Hola oopsy

Thank you for the link. I had not read the article.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El País article on castellers

We went to see the Castelers de Barcelona on Saturday and it was amazing - one of the highpoints of our vacation!

USA
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: El País article on castellers

Hola, Jose Antonio! Nice to "see" you. I hope you're well!

SBJEin, how wonderful taht you were able to see the castellers!

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,602 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: El País article on castellers

Fascinating article and a couple of wonderful photos. Thanks for the link oopsy.

The Concurs is definitely on our to do list. We followed it on various feeds this year and were pleased that Vilafranca came out on top ( :) ) because I spent a couple of hours with them at the Diada during La Merce this year and was privileged to "help" with two of their towers - and extra weight on the bottom, of course. The friendliness and inclusiveness is compelling. I would certainly join a group if I lived in Catalunya. We've been watching castellers for 10 years now and enjoy it more and more each time. We're hoping to see some more next month in Altafula.

Julie has put a shed-load of pics from the Festa Major de Gracia in August on the website today and the casteller photos start here ...

avengerpenguins.com/gallery2/main.php…

She will probably get around to putting the September ones (including "my" towers) up over the ext few days and I'll be sorting the text out soon.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
7,287 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: El País article on castellers

here you can see a "concurs de castells 2012" summary video:

http://www.tv3.cat/3alacarta/#/videos/4278170

and this is a link for "Enxaneta" film (minute 1-2 in 3D was great, all the rest is interesting if you don't know too much about Castells, but it is on catalan).

http://www.tv3.cat/3alacarta/#/videos/4278230

shrewsbury
Level Contributor
157 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: El País article on castellers

wow thanks for posting the link Slatkin,can I ask what date this took place ,I will have too make sure my next trip is at the same time.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
7,287 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: El País article on castellers

it was on sunday 7th if i am not wrong, and it takes place every 2 years, so you have 720 days for planning your trip till october 2014 :)

main problem about "concurs" is thst it is quite impossible get a ticket for sunday season for bigger colles performances, but it should be possible for saturday exhibition.

barcelona
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: El País article on castellers

hi,

as Slatikn10 says the thickets for sunday season are difficult to find....There are a web page official where these tickets must be buy:

http://www.concursdecastells.cat/entrades-cdc

As a general idea: this year, they started to sell the tickets on September. Sunday tickets was quicky sold, but it could be possible to buy tickets for saturday until the same week...

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,602 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: El País article on castellers

As 5de8 says, tickets for the Saturday were available until quite late.

I detect an increase in interest in castellers over the last year, so the next concurs might prove to be very popular. We're hoping to see some in Altafulla in a couple of weeks, which will be the fourth formal appearance of castellers that we've seen this year, plus two practice sessions. It's becoming something of an obsession, I think.

Girona, Spain
Level Contributor
340 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: El País article on castellers

Although not really all that convenient from Barcelona, there is a big event in Valls (Tarragona) on Sunday 21st at 13:00. Although the weather forecast is extremely poor so it might jusr be rained off. There is also a very varied series of events related to Castells in Valls all weekend, starting this very evening.

Edited: 19 October 2012, 16:36