We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barri Gotic / Placa George Orwell areas

manchester
Level Contributor
411 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Barri Gotic / Placa George Orwell areas

Hi

anyone know of any decent restaurants/ tapas bars in these areas. Not too expensive - but good food?. I know there are loads of recommendations all over this website but wondered if anyone had any recent experiences?

Not got too much time to trawl through the website!.

Cheers in advance

Viola

France, Andorra, and Spain from...
1,044 reviews
from US$146.60*
Priority Access: Barcelona Sagrada...
2,944 reviews
from US$44.30*
Barcelona City Tour, Sagrada Familia...
1,650 reviews
from US$112.40*
Special Offer
Montserrat and Oller del Mas Tour...
439 reviews
from US$112.73*
US$118.66
Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,717 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barri Gotic / Placa George Orwell areas

The nearest decent tapas bar I can think of is Bar Celta which is a couple of minutes away, turn right down Avinyo off Goerge Orwell and it's on the corner of de la Merce near the bottom. I don't really know what "too expensive" is for you, though, but I don't consider it very expensive.

Your question seems a bit odd, though. Placa George Orwell is just a very small part of Barri Gotic, which is a much larger area. GO has several places to eat, some of which I'm sure are reasonably priced. Barri Gotic has LOADS of places and a big range of prices. Can you give an estimate in Euros per person of what you want to spend and how far you're prepared to travel, perhaps?

For example, a short metro ride will get you to Gracia where you will find a number of restaurants with excellent offers for €10 or less and for tapas somewhere like El Mon de Tapas near Sants station where their dishes are very simply priced (mainly either €1.99 or €2.99) might do the trick and again is very easy to get to.

manchester
Level Contributor
411 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barri Gotic / Placa George Orwell areas

Hi Pandachris

Yeah sorry not very clear.

I will be arriving late on in the evening and staying near George Orwell off escudelles - just wanted somewhere that we could dash out to and get something without travelling far. 3 of us so I guess around £10 per head ?

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,717 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barri Gotic / Placa George Orwell areas

There's loads around there, viola. We often stay on Escudellers when we're in Barcelona. €10/€12 is on the low side for the area, but should be possible. For tapas, it depends upon how hungry you are. I would think you can manage a plate of patatas bravas between two, two or three more dishes and a beer/glass of wine for that in Bar Celta. Avoid fish/shellfish dishes as they tend to be more expensive.

Places on Las Ramblas tend to be pricey and some are not very good either.

manchester
Level Contributor
411 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barri Gotic / Placa George Orwell areas

Hi

Yes I suppose it is on the low side- I'm sure we could up it a bit- a decent meal is probably more important that night than the price maybe?

Thanks

Viola

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,717 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barri Gotic / Placa George Orwell areas

Still Bar Celta, then. Close enough to get there in a few minutes and not a complicated walk. Avinyo is one of the main streets in that part of the city - plus you will pass 20 or so other places to eat and drink so if it's too busy/closed or you just don't like the look of it, then take your pick.

Suggest you "do" the walk on Google streetview to familiarise yourself with it.

The Pulpo Gallego (octopus) in Celta is renowned. Try it if you don't mind spending a few quid (squid!) extra. One plate is adequate for two, with other tapas.

6. Re: Barri Gotic / Placa George Orwell areas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2013, 10:17