We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Review on my day trip to Montserrat by car

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
queensland
Level Contributor
430 posts
182 reviews
Save Topic
Review on my day trip to Montserrat by car

This place is spectacular and a must do. We had our own car and drove there, you can either park at Monistrol vila and take the return train up the mountian, lovely views, cost was €8.05 return. If you decide to drive right to the monastery the car park cost up the top is €5.00. We arrived around 11.30am and went straight to the information centre and picked up the hiking pamphlet. Then walked around the village, took in the fabulous views, tasted all of the excellent honey, cheese, products along the side walk, good value really and they are not pushy. Around 12.30pm we went to the Basillica, absolutely stunning, in hindsight we should have gone a little earlier before the crowds start arriving for the boys choir at 1.00pm. If we had gone earlier we would have gone to the madonna as soon as we arrived but by the time we looked at the Basillica it was a little late to go up to the madonna. The choir were excellent, we left a little early and went up to see the madonna before the crowds, it was excellent. After this we went hiking and it was the best, the hikes are fabulous, we took our lunch and stopped along the way and had great picnic, olent of people on the teacks but was ot crowded but enough to say hi to and know that you are not lost. Views are brilliant, we were so lucky with the weather and not too many people around, Back to the monastery around 5.00pm, did not have too much time to see the museum but what we saw looked really interesting. We had the best day and I have to thank every one from tripadvisors comments, as I did not even know about Montserrat until I read 'things to do in Barcelona' The comments there were for a tour from Barcelona or getting the train from barcelona but thougtht I would just write to say you can do it on your own if you have a car, either way don't miss it.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,094 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Review on my day trip to Montserrat by car

Glad you had a good time. It's also easy to visit by FGC train, departing from Placa Espanya. There's a Top Question here on our forum:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187497-c79251/Barcel…

2. Re: Review on my day trip to Montserrat by car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 08:16