We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Night Train Paris to Barcelona

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Night Train Paris to Barcelona

We are considering using the night train as a way to get to Barcelona. The cheap airlines from the UK that are normally so cheap, are so expensive given that we are wanting to fly on part of a weekend that forms a bank holiday, with 25kg luggage each (we are picking up a long haul flight in Barcelona a few days later). We have Airmiles that we can use to get the Eurostar to Paris later in the afternoon and then pick up the train to Barcelona, first class with meals, a cabin with toilet and shower for cheaper than Easyjet and also saves us a hotel room!!

Is Rail Europe the best place to book with from the UK. Also, what would you estimate the taxi cost to be from the station in Barcelona to the main tourist area, e.g. the cathedral.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Europe
Europe
World
Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,731 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Night Train Paris to Barcelona

Excellent info on tickets and all things train in Europe here:

http://www.seat61.com/Spain.htm

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,297 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Night Train Paris to Barcelona

Hola rachelandgromit,

This train arrives at França station, where you'll find taxis waiting. The ride to the area around Barcelona Cathedral shouldn't be more than 12 euros, depending on your exact location and the number of one-way streets the driver needs to circumnavigate. You can use www.worldtaximeter.com to generate a fare quotation.

For train fares, check www.tgv-europe.com/en www.elipsos.com

Also check www.vueling.com for Paris to Barcelona air fares. They are often cheaper than taking the train. Of course, you'll have to pay extra for luggage and use of credit card. Just providing an option.

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona Cathedral
Barcelona Cathedral
8,036 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Barcelona
Barcelona
British Columbia
Level Contributor
877 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Night Train Paris to Barcelona

I too am thinking of train from Paris to Barcelona but not till July. What is considered a great price on an airline for July. Right now I'm seeing 82$. Will I find it cheaper if I wait?

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Barcelona
Barcelona
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,297 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Night Train Paris to Barcelona

BCresident,

On Vueling, I'm seeing o/w fares midweek from 39.99€ to 69.99€ for July. I think 39.99€ is a great deal, even if you have to pay add'l fees for checked-in baggage and use of credit card etc.

Normally, the best deals will be sold out first. Then the airline will offer the next best level of fares and so on. If you are sure about your travel dates, you shouldn't wait. Buy in advance for midweek travel.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
32,557 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Night Train Paris to Barcelona

Train www.elipsos.com

British Columbia
Level Contributor
877 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Night Train Paris to Barcelona

Thanks, unfortunately we can only fly on a Friday. I looked more at the night train, and I think I'll be brave and try something new. I am assuming the night train is safe . Don't know how much sleep I'll get as I tend to stress,lol.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
9,071 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Night Train Paris to Barcelona

I love the Elipsos, dinner in the elegant restaurant (although southbound to Barcelona it now leaves a bit late for that!) then snuggling down under the duvet on crisp clean sheets, reading by the glow of my berth light to steel wheel swishing on steel rails beneath me.

Yes, it's perfectly safe, feel free to bring a bottle of wine on board with you.

See the virtual tour at www.elipsos.com

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
8. Re: Night Train Paris to Barcelona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2013, 10:16