We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sneakers in Barcelona

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington...
Level Contributor
70 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Sneakers in Barcelona

Going to Barcelona for the 1st time. We intend to walk and walk and walk in Barcelona. We are staying off the beaten path and won't be in the heart of everything. Is it a crime against humanity for me to wear sneakers in Barcelona?

I keep reading that it's not kosher to do so. I also read that you should avoid shorts. I can do that. I'll wear jeans but to do all the walking we'll need to do, I am not sure what type of shoe I can wear and make it. Ballet flats and the like are just not enough support for me. We're going in May.

If wearing sneakers is a no-no any advice on shoes I can wear. I need arch support, ankle support and no heel (screams sneaker to me).

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,287 posts
3,473 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sneakers in Barcelona

ML0927:

Go ahead and wear your sneakers. Many tourists do that. You need comfortable shoes to walk a lot.

You may also want to shop for shoes. Spain is a country that has a large shoe industry. You can find comfortable leather shoes that are very flexible and have good arch support.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sneakers in Barcelona

There are so many tourists in shorts and sneakers that you'll just blend in. You should really wear whatever that heck you want. It's your life, after all.

But if you do feel self conscious and you don't want to stick out as a tourist, there is such a thing as a comfortable walking shoe that doesn't look like a sneaker. In fact, walking shoes are much more adapted to city walking than sneakers. Walking shoes have firmer souls than sneakers. They are much more comfortable in the long run. Walking for a long time in soft souled shoes made for sports is actually not that great for your feet or your back.

Edited: 20 January 2013, 05:28
Spain
Level Contributor
707 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sneakers in Barcelona

I dunno where this idea came from? Plenty of locals wear sneakers just they call them "Bambas" :-)

By May I'm normally in flip-flops!

Edited: 20 January 2013, 08:06
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,240 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sneakers in Barcelona

I wonder as well from where some advice comes from. A guide book from 1950?

Most locals will be not wearing their "bambas" just because they will be walking from/to their jobs and not spending hours walking around town. And most will be wearing sandals in May anyway. But of course no one will bat an eyelid if you do. The only places where sneakers will be a no-no may be posh restaurants and clubs at night (and still, fashionable ones are welcome mostly everywhere).

In any case, as pointed above there are better options for city walking. A good walking sandal (teva's type) with good support is what I would choose in May, esp if its late May. Anywa, locals will not care. But your feet and back will ;-)

Edited: 20 January 2013, 11:31
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,829 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sneakers in Barcelona

I'm with Belsaita on this one. Comfy sandals with a proper footbed is a good choice of footwear when you plan on walking a lot which I do, and it's what I brought for last year's first visit end of May/early June. It was 30 degrees Celsius (86 Fahrenheit) and you wouldn't want your feet confined in sneakers in that heat. With regards to shorts, again it depends on what you're doing. If you're planning on visiting churches then it's not advisable and you should dress respectfully. That said I did visit the Sagrada Familia wearing a sleeveless summer dress which stopped just above the knee and no-one said anything. It could be too warm to wear jeans so consider light trousers or dresses if you're comfortable wearing those. The dress code in BCN generall seems a lot more relaxed. In Malaga I noticed that a lot of people still dress up at the weekend which I think is nice.

6. Re: Sneakers in Barcelona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 January 2013, 00:35
Louisiana
Level Contributor
1,098 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sneakers in Barcelona

I am returning for another visit in May and will probably alternate good walking shoes and walking sandals depending on the weather of the day.

Go to www.zappos. com They have a very big selection, ship to and from is free- so you can try several pairs. Try Clarkes brand for good walking shoes

The shoe shopping in Barcelona is great. I will have to leave room in my suitcase They have lots of stylish shoes (which I know isn't your question-just thought I'd stick that in there for the shoe girls).

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
23,958 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sneakers in Barcelona

Not a nice answer, Jos_B187497.

ML0927, if you like wearing sneakers, go ahead and wear them. Or find a closer hotel so that you don't have that long commute every time you want to go sightseeing! ;-)

(Just joking. I know your heart is set on the W.)

Whatever shoes you decide to wear, make sure to break them in BEFORE the trip. Walking more than 15 min in a brand new pair of shoes could leave you with painful blisters.

Edited: 20 January 2013, 13:30
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,240 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sneakers in Barcelona

Jos_B187497,

I usually welcome new contributors, but I will wait in your case.

Maybe is you who should go out more. Then, try to read again the question with some humor, you may realise who's making a fool of himself on this thread.

Washington...
Level Contributor
70 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sneakers in Barcelona

Thank you everyone for the HELPFUL posts. I am going to look into Teva's and Clarkes brand on Zappos.

Gigs_mum - you are always so helpful and we are pretty stuck on the W because got a really great deal on a really nice room so I better strap on my walking shoes! :-)