We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How daft is it to take a rucksac.

UK
Level Contributor
239 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
How daft is it to take a rucksac.

Hi everyone

I know I promised the last question was my last but I obviously lied, sorry :)

I know it is a daft idea to have all your valuables in a rucksac, but what do people think if I have all our money in various places no thief can get to (my favourite is in my bra - however quick their fingers I would definitely notice someones hands there lol) and in a money thing that straps to your leg.

In the rucksac on my back I would only keep our waterproofs in case it rains and a spare pair of shoes for mum in case her feet get tired and she needs to swap and an emergency kit of stuff for looking after a 70yr olds feet out on a days walking. The rucksac has a combination lock with it which could be cut off if they have some cutters but I am sure someone would notice someone trying to do that and a strap that fits around my waist. Its just that, although not the end of the world, I don't really want to loose our waterproofs and I am not sure if they grab bags or slash them.

Thanks in advance for your help again. It is much appreciated :)

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
4,477 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How daft is it to take a rucksac.

I always use a travelon front facing expandable bag, this goes diagonally across the front of your body and I personally believe this is the safest way of carrying items. With the expansion zip open, it will easily hold shoes and scrunched up jacket, as well as money, kindle etc.

A rucksac can always be worn on your front, which is safer than on your back.. It should stop slash theft attempts.

Just don't be tempted to wear a bag over one shoulder. I've met lots of people who've lost belongings this way. ( Not just in Barcelona!)

Edited: 12 March 2013, 16:03
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
21,421 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How daft is it to take a rucksac.

On the metro or in crowds thieves may open a rucksack but their hope is they'll hit on a camera or a wallet. I don't think they use knives or cutters normally.

Rucksacks also get picked up if left on the ground, on a chair etc. Then the hope is it'll contain something "good". I was once with a school group and one of the girls had her rucksack stolen in Burger King (she'd put it down next to the table). What it contained was her sketchbooks for GCSE art, so the loss to her was huge whereas for the thief it was nothing worth having.

Mentioned in this post
Burger King
Burger King
85 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
London, United...
Level Contributor
392 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How daft is it to take a rucksac.

I always use a small lightweight one, very useful for shopping, I don't carry anything of financial or sentimental value in it, so I don't worry. Never had a problem in 20 + visits.

UK
Level Contributor
239 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How daft is it to take a rucksac.

Thanks rawtalent and Lynda.

I'll be using the usual common sense that we all have to use whenever we go out, not just in Barcelona I now only possess handbags that go over my shoulder). My main concern was if bag slashing was popular, if it isn't then I should be ok as they'll have no chance of pulling it off me or getting in to it. It can only be opened by slashing. I will look at buying one of those travelon front facing expandable bag for other trips rawtalent as none of the rucksacks I own can be worn comfortably on the front.

Its not just Barcelona that this happens though Lynda. My mums friend has just got back from Assisi on a pilgrimage trip and whilst in one of the cathedrals there she stupidly put her handbag to the side of her and not on her lap while she prayed. When she left, her handbag was there, exactly as she left it but her purse was gone - someones prayers were answered as she had 600 euros in it as she was on her way to pay for something. If it had been my 600 euros it would have been safely stuffed down my bra lol!

Thanks again for your help as travelling with mum I always need spare things and emergency things.

Just got to pack now and then we are off tomorrow. I can't wait and I really thank everyone who has helped me in my planning :)

UK
Level Contributor
239 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How daft is it to take a rucksac.

That's what I plan on doing markkz750. There won't be anything in it of value (although I do like my raincoat), I was just wondering how bad the bag theft was as its the one thing everyone seems to mention when you say Barcelona, although I am sure it isn't quite the bag theft/pick pocket capital of the world that it is sometimes made out to be.

Thanks again :)

Kilmarnock, United...
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How daft is it to take a rucksac.

I was over in January and whilst it wasn't bustling, I had my rucksack with all my belongings in, slung over my shoulder. More often than not, I was holding the strap, just a habit and had no problems whatsoever and I'm not built like the incredible hulk.

UK
Level Contributor
239 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How daft is it to take a rucksac.

Thanks everyone.

I've just come back after a fabulous time and had no problems at all with the rucksack. The only minor incident that we had was when I got separated from my mum on the tube and couldn't see her. Someone attempted to pick her pocket - a young girl was pushing up against her on a relatively quiet tube. Mum felt her hand but the young girl was scared off when an older Spanish lady began to make a fuss. Nothing of importance was in mum's purse anyway (it was stashed in other places), just a bunch of soggy tissues as mum had a cold.

Thanks again for everyones help.

8. Re: How daft is it to take a rucksac.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2014, 04:15