We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking 30kg vs 23 kg luggage on a Europe trip

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pretoria
1 post
Save Topic
Taking 30kg vs 23 kg luggage on a Europe trip

Hi

I bought an international flight to Europe that allows 30kg of luggage to check in. Most of my traveling will be done via train around Europe where luggage weight doesn't matter (I hope right?), but 2 legs of my trip involved taking flights. All flights I could find, for example Rome to Barcelona only allows max 23kg, with heave penalties above.

What weight of luggage is the norm to take on a trip, is it 23kg?

Do you also have some suggestions of flights that allow 30kg? (Espesially between Amsterdam and Munich as well as between Rome and Barcelona)

Thanks for reading this long message!

Torrox, Spain
Level Contributor
3,793 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking 30kg vs 23 kg luggage on a Europe trip

23kg is actually quite a good allowance for European flights - many airlines now allow as little as 15kg with overweight penalties being strictly enforced.

Edited: 17 March 2013, 20:13
USA
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking 30kg vs 23 kg luggage on a Europe trip

As campolady wrote, 23 kg is a generous allowance lately. That seems to be fairly standard for US-Europe flights. I think Pakistan Air had a slightly higher allowance when I flew it Chicago to Barcelona a year ago.

Mind you, trains may allow heavier baggage, but you or your party still needs to handle it. Are you prepared to life 30kg into the train? Hoist it up to a baggage shelf if necessary?

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
3,554 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking 30kg vs 23 kg luggage on a Europe trip

If you fly on a full service airline in business class you may get a higher baggage allowance.

USA
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking 30kg vs 23 kg luggage on a Europe trip

Yes, business and first class usually have higher allowances.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,553 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking 30kg vs 23 kg luggage on a Europe trip

What are you carrying on this trip that means you want to hump 30kg of luggage around? I can understand someone travelling to study/work abroad for 6/12 months feelling they need more but a tourist?

23kg is now pretty much the norm for traditional airlines and also airberlin and vueling (it used to be 20). Most budget carriers allow 20kg but Ryanair and some charter companies say 15kg.

I think all airlines are quite strict about excess luggage if you aren't a frequent flyer/travelling business-class, certainly Aircanada's wanting to charge for extra kilos involved some hasty re-packing as we couldn't share the 46kg over two cases. You could however pay in advance, something like 50 dollars for a second case but I don't think that applies for European flights (it's probably because in the old days you were allowed two suitcases on transatlantic flights)

Edited: 17 March 2013, 22:34
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,236 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking 30kg vs 23 kg luggage on a Europe trip

Hola Andre,

Last summer, I traveled around Spain by train and specifically for this trip, I bought a smaller suitcase with spinner wheels. I'm the unofficial chairwoman of the Traveling Sink Society and have been very unsuccessful in NOT bringing everything but the kitchen sink on my trips, lol! To make it worse, I like to buy books which are always heavy.

For the train, you must go light! Even if you line up early and secure a nice space in the luggage rack, there are still 2 more reasons NOT to schlep a 30 kg case:

1) Steps from platform to train

2) More steps up into the train

Altogether there could be 3-4 steps and unless you're Mr Universe, you will feel every add'l kilo.

Btw, I believe that Renfe's business class has a larger luggage compartment. Even if that is not always true, Spanish business people travel light so they hoist their small overnight cases onto the overhead shelf - thereby leaving the luggage compartment quite empty.

canada
Level Contributor
7,552 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking 30kg vs 23 kg luggage on a Europe trip

We are in our mid 70's, and that is one reason to travel light. We have been bringing along the lightest weight (maybe the flimsiest) carry-on (Air Canada wt limit being10 Kg) for over a decade, for trips lasting up to 4 weeks. Lately, I just carry a backpack, and cut the weight down to 7-8 Kg. Instead of books and laptop, I now carry a 1-lb 7" tablet. You see the regular carry-on ext dimension is 22"x14"x9" and the standard single kitchen sink is 20"x14"x7". My bag includes a suit and an umbrella, to face all seasons.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
57,711 posts
3,574 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking 30kg vs 23 kg luggage on a Europe trip

Andre:

For me the best luggage is a medium size bag with good wheels. A large piece of luggage is difficult to put on overhead racks in trains.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,553 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taking 30kg vs 23 kg luggage on a Europe trip

And if you are travelling on German trains the space for luggage can be very restricted, except for those very high racks in the 6-seater compartments where you just pray nothing shifts and falls. Otherwise you may be leaving luggage unattended in corridors etc

Gigis_mum's point about steps up to trains is also a good one , these often have very narrow treads and there may well be a gap between the steps and the platform; and even a medium-sized trolley with wheels coming in at around 20kg is a hassle then.

I'm also a kitchen-sink kind of packer esp. when we travel by car but flying in Europe has always meant having to be a bit disciplined (and also always meant buying lightweight luggage as every kilo always counted)

30kg for one item is very heavy, the limit imposed by airlines because of health and safety legislation is 32kg and one assumes that baggage-handlers have the physique (and also equipment) to deal with that weight.

10. Re: Taking 30kg vs 23 kg luggage on a Europe trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2014, 05:17