We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montserrat day tour questions

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
toronto
Level Contributor
447 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Montserrat day tour questions

I have done some research and checked the main Montserrat tourist site, but couldn't get an answer to these questions:

1. Is there any way to do both Sant Joan & Janta Cova including a stop for lunch in about 5 hours?

2. Are paths and walking trails well labeled (if I decide to go up via Sant Joan and want to walk down will it be fairly easy to see the way?)

3. I want to save time on waiting in lines to buy tickets. Can I buy the following from P. Catalunya or P. Espanya: two way ticket from P. Espanya to Monistrol (for rack rail) + two way Cremallera + one way Santa Cova + one way Sant Joan? Or is it better to buy ‘TRANS MONTSERRAT - FROM Pl.ESPANYA STATION at Includes train + underground + rack train + funiculars + audiovisual show for 26 Euro.

4. Does anyone have walking itineraries for Montserrat including maps?

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,112 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montserrat day tour questions

Once you have arrived at Montserrat you can pick up a free map of the area if you head to one of the tourist information stands. At the tourist information stands you can request a map of the area.

Also, if you are hoping to do some walks around Montserrat mountain, tourist information will give you a map of the mountain showing some of the most popular routes mapped out on the mountain. On the reverse of the map you will find information about each walk, including directions, walk difficulty and length of the walk.

montserrat-tourist-guide.com/en/maps/map-of-…

Before heading to Montserrat, get an idea of what is there and where everything is using the map that is provided above. It will not take you long to find your way around the area, but if you have an idea of where everything is before you go you can make the most of the time that you have there.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,454 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montserrat day tour questions

I also had these questions! Thank you for asking them!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,178 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montserrat day tour questions

You can also buy package tickets in advance from bcnshops, the online shop of the official website of Barcelona tourism. The package tickets are cheaper than buying separate tickets.

barcelonaturisme.com/Trans-Montserrat/_vf-SM…

If you want to ride both the cremallera and the Aeri cable car, buy a TransMontserrat package (choose rack railway) and add a single Aeri cable car ticket. Keep in mind that they do NOT use the same train station of the FGC line. One is the Aeri de Montserrat and the other is the Monistrol.

The cremallera begins operation earlier and can get you to the church plaza by 9 am. The Aeri cable car takes a longer lunch break, so be aware of the timing if you want to leave in the early afternoon.

More info in the Top Question on a daytrip to Montserrat. Click on the blue links in the article.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187497-c79251/Barcel…

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,651 posts
3,568 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montserrat day tour questions

agnes:

Dress warmly to go to Montserrat. Every time I have gone there it was windy and chilly.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
6,630 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Montserrat day tour questions

1.- yes, it can be done without problems.

2.- go up to sant joan by funicular and go down walking. there you have 2 options, go direction to Sant Miquel or direction El Pla dels Ocells. Both are easy to do, perhaps by el pla dels ocells you have nicer mountain views, but it has a little problem, around 1000 steps, fortunatelly you are going down XD

toronto
Level Contributor
447 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Montserrat day tour questions

Thank you!

slatkin_10, going down with Sant Miquel or El Pla dels Ocells, is one walk longer than the other? Will both lead me down to the bottom of Santa Cova?

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
6,630 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Montserrat day tour questions

going sant miquel direction there are a path that goes to la santa cova, but i guess that best planing is:

1.- take funicular st joan at monestry level up to st joan.

2.- go down walking from st joan to monestry level.

3.- take santa cova funicular down.

4.- walk to la santa cova.

5.- take funicular up to monastry level.

8. Re: Montserrat day tour questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2014, 05:16