We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking Train from Barcelona to Madrid

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Topic
Booking Train from Barcelona to Madrid

Hi -

I will be traveling with my husband to Spain in May. I'd like to book a train from Barcelona to Madrid and was poking around the Renfe website. Is it better to purchase the tickets online or just purchase tickets when we are in Barcelona at the train station? Any help is appreciated. Also, if there are better alternatives to Renfe, please do let me know. Thanks in advance!

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,207 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking Train from Barcelona to Madrid

Read How can I buy Renfe tickets online, top right of page.

http://goo.gl/QPLLl

Edited: 13 April 2013, 18:35
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
6,969 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking Train from Barcelona to Madrid

better try book in advance (tickets can be bough around 3 months in advance) and this way you can get some discounted fares, if you wait buy them the day before you will pay the full fare.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,262 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking Train from Barcelona to Madrid

Hola Blueknightwife,

Ditto on what slatkin said. Just yesterday I did some fare checking for another member. 2 months from now, there are still P=Promotion fares for approx 40€ o/w. 1 month from now, the fare is closer to 80€.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking Train from Barcelona to Madrid

Flying into Madrid and leaving on a cruise from Barcelona June 25th. I would like to take the train from Madrid airport to the nearest train station by the cruise port in Barcelona. Can anyone identify the closest train stations I should be purchase tickets at in Madrid and Barcelona?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking Train from Barcelona to Madrid

Trains between Madrid and Barcelona leave from Atocha and arrive at Sants. You don't get to pick your stations. You have a few options to get from the Barajas to Atocha. One of them is the cercanias commuter train which is free if you use the code on your AVE ticket. From Sants to the cruise terminal you can take the metro or a taxi.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
36 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking Train from Barcelona to Madrid

is there a specific station we need to get off? I am trying to purchase my ticket from Barcelona to Madrid and I cant tell if there is a specific station I need to get on and off. I chose the one with the " * " next to it? Please help. Thank yoU! :)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,090 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking Train from Barcelona to Madrid

The one with the asterisk will consider all stations in a city and tell you which one you have to use. As said in reply #5, you have to use Madrid Atocha and Barcelona Sants.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
59,117 posts
3,577 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booking Train from Barcelona to Madrid

Friends:

Please read:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid…

9. Re: Booking Train from Barcelona to Madrid

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2015, 07:17