We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Oakland, California
Level Contributor
34 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Volunteering, job, internship for 16 year old son in Spain

We'll be in Spain this summer from mid-June through the end of July - about 6 weeks. We have Googled opportunities for my son in Spain, but wanted to know if anyone has any suggestions. He has taken 7 years of Spanish, is interested in biology, engineering, building, and other ways to help people. He is interested in short (2 weeks-ish) or longer (6 weeks+) term. Paid/unpaid is fine.

We will be in Madrid and Barcelona, but we're open to any location in Spain.

Thank you, and I have read the other posts about volunteering and jobs, but they are either a different time period, needed to be paid, or are for people over 16.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,352 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Volunteering, job, internship for 16 year old son in Spain

I am afraid I think you are being very optimistic bearing looking for an internship (even unpaid) bearing in mind your son's age, non-EU nationality (I assume) and especially the current economic situation in Spain.

If you want him to get a chance to practise his Spanish I suggest you look at summer camps (but ones organised nationally, anything organised locally in Catalonia is likely to be in Catalan, or English as it is then combined as a language course).

For example Greenpeace has a camp in tzhe Bierzo in late July for 15-17year olds. greenpeace.org/espana/…

Here are some more possibilities canalsolidario.org/noticia/…29538

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Edited: 14 April 2013, 11:24
2. Re: Volunteering, job, internship for 16 year old son in Spain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2014, 17:11
Edited: 03 April 2014, 17:11
3. Re: Volunteering, job, internship for 16 year old son in Spain

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2014, 17:11
Tarragona, Spain
Level Contributor
380 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Volunteering, job, internship for 16 year old son in Spain

An intriguing, welcome and positive contribution.

Yet wholly lacking in detail.

It would be fascinating to know the cost to you and your son, the duration, the nature of the company, the legal status of his "contract" the location and the nature of the accomodation and of course what, if any, payment your son received.

(The name of the company where he "worked" would of course be the cherry on the pie but, on balance, I won't ask for that.)

I look forward to reading all the details.

(On reflection, I note that your original post was regarding your son whereas you now inform us of your friend.

Sorry for my errors; though the questions stand.)

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,352 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Volunteering, job, internship for 16 year old son in Spain

I don't think Audra is anything to do with the first poster, she/he has suddenly posted comments (like "like it"); this post had more "meat" but is a bit strange as the original post was referring to summer 2013

Tarragona, Spain
Level Contributor
380 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Volunteering, job, internship for 16 year old son in Spain

Ghosh.

Twice the same day you have corrected me. Both times politely and accurately. Thank you for both instances and on both counts.

Mea maxima culpa. (I'll need to get new glasses soon, perhaps.)

My questions stand nonetheless irrespective of quite who was the internee.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
7,276 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Volunteering, job, internship for 16 year old son in Spain

a not common question replied 7 months later is quite suspicious yes.

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6,151 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Volunteering, job, internship for 16 year old son in Spain

Actually, like Jim I too am suspicious of this poster. Read the history there is no "meat" to any of the postings.

9. Re: Volunteering, job, internship for 16 year old son in Spain

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

Removed on: 08 February 2014, 19:38
10. Re: Volunteering, job, internship for 16 year old son in Spain

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 09 February 2015, 05:21