We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight Layover in Barcelona airport - is it safe?

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Vancouver...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Overnight Layover in Barcelona airport - is it safe?

Hello

My 19 year old daughter will be travelling to Mallorca in June and will arrive at the Barcelona airport alone at midnight, and not fly out until 8:35 the next morning.

Is it safe for her to stay in the airport for the 8 hours? I know she'll be tired and want to have a nap on a bench somewhere, and I just wonder how safe she will be? Is it worthwhile for her to get a taxi to a hotel nearby? Seems such an expense for such a short stay.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,771 posts
3,570 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight Layover in Barcelona airport - is it safe?

Jane:

I myself would never sleep at a bench in the airport. Someone may take your belongings.

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
3,471 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight Layover in Barcelona airport - is it safe?

Look on www.sleepinginairports.net for hint and tips from other travellers

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
3,998 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight Layover in Barcelona airport - is it safe?

last time I "slept" in there was like 1 year ago. It is safe to stay, and there are security guards all over the place. Actually the only real worry about staying at the airport are security guards themselves, as they awake people who are getting "too comfortable" in benches or on the floor. There is a cafe/snackshop open 24/7 and wifi.

It was kind of quiet from 1am or so till 4:30am, with only security guards and some ppl also staying to sleep in the airport. From 4:30am there were ppl coming from outside for the first flights in the morning (which I believe are at 6:30am)

I didn't sleep much because there is no real place to do so, but it was as safe as it gets.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,198 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight Layover in Barcelona airport - is it safe?

Hola Jane,

There is a hotel inside the airport, Air Rooms, but it's not cheap. I paid 160€ for it last summer. 10 min away, there is a hostel but with the minimum taxi charge of 20€, your daughter would end up paying a total of 50€ or so. Even then she might not get any sleep since she'd be sharing a room with other guests.

5. Re: Overnight Layover in Barcelona airport - is it safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2014, 05:17