We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tramsportation Map with Sites

Florida
Level Contributor
499 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tramsportation Map with Sites

Is there possibly a transportation map (metro, trollies, buses) of Barcelona that shows the stops for the various sites. In other words, a map that will show me what Line and what stop on that line will get me close to places like Parc Guell, or Sagrada Famalia, or Sarria, and many other popular sites? I've looked high and low but can only find separate maps of the metro, with the various stops, and separate maps showing the sites. Kind of difficult to coordinate the stops with the sites.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,277 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tramsportation Map with Sites

Hola Dave,

Have you tried Google maps? It's pretty good for personal trip-planning. I make one for every city I visit and add Restaurants, Attractions, Hotels etc. according to my itinerary. If you click on the "M" (for metro), you'll get a coloured pop-up of the metro line. For bus routes, click on the Bus icon.

To get from 1 address to another, click on "Get Directions" and input your Origin and Destination.

As an example, here's a map from the Top Question on Tapas. It contains markers for both popular tapas bars and Must See attractions.

http://goo.gl/maps/kkb3j

Edited: 04 May 2013, 20:30
Florida
Level Contributor
499 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tramsportation Map with Sites

Thank You, I will try Google Maps to see how it works.

It also seems as though the L3 Green Line stops at most of the sites.

One other thing, if you will. I have already purchased a 5 day Travel Card. Does this card get Validated the First Time or Every Time You Travel on the Metro, Trollies, or Buses. If it needs to be validated only once, then when you validate the first time on the Metro do you have to again validate when traveling on the Trollies for the first time?

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tramsportation Map with Sites

I use the Tripadvisor Barcelona Android App to pinpoint sights, restaurants etc. as it's easy to take with me when we go to Barcelona, and it shows the names of the metro stations close to the sights/restaurants/hotels, even if not the lines.

But then I just have the metro map in pdf and I go back and forth. Most of the sights are in a very small area, so not that many metro stops to remember. I probably won't need the metro map in Barcelona anymore.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,277 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tramsportation Map with Sites

Dave,

The L3 green line is very useful for sightseeing but it doesn't go to the Sagrada Famlia. For that you'll need to transfer to the L5 blue or L2 purple.

I haven't used the 5 day Travel Card before (usually the T10 ticket for 10 rides is sufficient). According to the tmb.cat website, you validate once.

tmb.cat/en/bitllets-i-tarifes/-/bitllet/52

Florida
Level Contributor
499 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Tramsportation Map with Sites

Since I still have a couple of weeks until departure to Barcelona, I am researching this stuff every day. I have managed to coordinate most of the various sites with the stops on the metro. Some we can even walk to from the apartment we'll be staying in which is close to the Espanya station. Also looking to get on the trams and buses to kind of get a free tour of the city. Tram T1 and T4 intersect with the metro and will give us an overall look from the surface. Also the funiculars will be a great asset especially to Parc de Montjuic. Still trying to figure out the extensive bus network. It looks as though you can get on a bus and travel along an avenue until the end of the route and then travel back until the end of the route on the other end. Is there any particular bus that would give the most comprehensive routing through the city?

It certainly is good to know that you only have to validate the Travel Card once in order to use it from then on.

One more question. We'll be taking the train to Montserrat and then the funicular from Monistrol. Would you suggest that I buy tickets on-line, if I can, or at the Espanya station? I have read that the train can get full with some people having to stand. Would hate for my wife to have to stand for an hour on the train.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
8 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tramsportation Map with Sites

If u check out the Barcelona City Guide from Trip Advisor, there are self_guided walks mapped out that might be a big help to you. Enjoy!

Palafrugell, Spain
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tramsportation Map with Sites

Try 59 bus which runs from the beach, through Barceloneta, up through the Rambla and out to the University/Camp Nou zone.

Florida
Level Contributor
499 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Tramsportation Map with Sites

It looks as though, if you plan your self guided tour of the city, you can pretty much do it by riding the bus routes. Get off one route and get on another. Since we have 5 day travel passes it would include the bus system and we could utilize it like a hop on hop off.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
7,114 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tramsportation Map with Sites

you must validate your card everytime that you use public transport.

if you buy a 5 days card then nothing is charged, but with other transport cards a ticket is discounted everytime.

about which travel card is better.. if you do less than 30 trips per person in 5 days then buying t10 is cheaper than a 5 days pass.

t70/30 is cheaper than 5days pass and t10 if you use more than 50 journeys (and it can be shared, so it means 25 per person if you are 2 as example).

Florida
Level Contributor
499 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Tramsportation Map with Sites

Since our rental apartment will be only a block away from Espanya Station I think it would be wise to take a bus from there R/T and possibly stopping along the way to see a site or two. There seem to be three bus routes that may be desirable:

V7 - Espanya to Sarria (we wanted to go to Sarria anyway)

23 - Espanya to Parc Logistic

27 - Espanya to Roquetes

If we ride these routes R/T it seems as though we should get a pretty good tour of the city.

During the regular week when are the best times to take these buses to avoid any rush hour? How about weekends? Which route gives the best tour of the city? Seems they all go to different areas of the city.