We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP!!! Are Spanish people from Barcelona that rude???

planet earth
Level Contributor
320 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
HELP!!! Are Spanish people from Barcelona that rude???

My friends just came back from Barcelona and they told us that the Spanish people in Barcelona were rude and they hate it... My friends speak fluent spanish and the people there told them that you dont know how to speak spanish. And a meal there was over $200.00 for 2. OMIGOD!! I am arriving there on the 12th on June and to be honest I am getting a little dissapointed!! Any feedback???

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP!!! Are Spanish people from Barcelona that rude???

Not knowing your friends, but having traveled throughout Spain over the years, I think your friends may have taken affront to remarks some locals may have made in regards to their Spanish. If they didn’t learn their Spanish in Catalonia, the locals might not have understood what they where saying. It’s not an unusual experience.

Did they happen to look at the menu posted outside before they went in and ordered? It certainly doesn’t sound like they had the menu del día. $200 (155 euros) for two seems very reasonable when dining at a gastronomic restaurant, especially if wine, café and water were included in the price.

You may want to download a copy of Maribel’s Guide to Barcelona to better plan your adventure in Barcelona. It’s not difficult to find a restaurant where you can have a great meal for under 30 euros if you know where to look.

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Barcelona
Barcelona
cheshire
Level Contributor
164 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP!!! Are Spanish people from Barcelona that rude???

hi, we returned from barcelona yesterday. 5/6/06. Some of the people are rude, food can be expensive or reasonable it depends where and what you eat, good retseraunts have massive ques in the evening. There is the usual, macdonalds, kfc, burger king ect. many tapas bars. A beer sat on the ramblas cost us 12 euro (approx Ãã8 gbp) We were situated in the nh victoria hotel. 1 min off ramplas, great spot. Lovely harbour at bottom of ramblas, a must is the open top coach tours, there is so much to see. There is an irish bar at the back of b.king 2/3 down ramblas, happy hours on beer is only 1 euro 6-8pm mon-fri. Great buildings and atmosphre. Taxi to the ramblas from barca airport is 24euro approx. Better than getting bus you will prob get lost. You will need comfy shoes too ! Great place, but yes take pleanty of money.

Barcelona
Level Contributor
189 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP!!! Are Spanish people from Barcelona that rude???

The question is wrongly formulated. You take something specific and then generalize and express your fears... This forum is read by people from Barcelona, so it's impolite to say the things you hint at your post. It would be the same if someone say that everybody in New York is unpleasant...

You won't have any problem in Barcelona, even speaking only english. Catalan and spanish are widely spoken. And you can eat from 7 euros per person (in bars) to 300. You forget to tell where your frieds went, and what ate and drunk.

Many of the problems related in this forum are owing to a sheer lack of information.

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
newcastle, uk
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP!!! Are Spanish people from Barcelona that rude???

Just returned from 5 days in Barcelona and encountered no problems whatsoever with rudeness, rip-offs or street crime, contrary to the stories I heard. I'm not a Spanish or Catalan speaker but did have a few Spanish phrases ready for use in restaurants and cafes. As is often the case, people seemed to appreciate the effort, even if their English was much better than my Spanish. Besides, a lot of the staff seemed to be Asian. Whatever - no signs of obvious rudeness.

As for getting an expensive bill, don't go into a restaurant before looking at the menu and doing a quick calculation - obvious, I'd have thought. If there aren't any prices, then don't enter! I found lots of places with very reasonable - even cheap - tariffs if you consider that Barcelona is a major tourist and business city. If you go to posh places, expect to pay posh prices.

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
planet earth
Level Contributor
320 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP!!! Are Spanish people from Barcelona that rude???

By any means would I talk bad about the Spaniards, I am of spanish backround myself and so are my friends, so please no offense. It was just so unusual that this happened to them. I am going to Spain this week so I will judge for my self.

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Level Contributor
322 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HELP!!! Are Spanish people from Barcelona that rude???

We have never had any problem with the local people in Barcelona. My husband speaks fluent Spanish but realize that most people speak Catalan in Barcelona. As stated above, some may not have understood your Spanish. We have found the people to be very nice, helpful and welcome you with a smile.

As far as food and restaurants, I have to say that if your friends didn't see the menu outside before entering, it's not the restaurants fault. There are hundreds of places in Barcelona where you can get a wonderful inexpensive to moderately priced meal.

Get yourself a language sheet that will help you with Spanish and Catalan, also find yourself a good Barcelona book where they give great suggestions on where to dine. Don't be worried, go and have fun, it's a great city.

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
21,517 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HELP!!! Are Spanish people from Barcelona that rude???

Yes it would be interesting to know which restaurant this was because as Robert says you can have 3 courses a la carte at lots of nice restaurants for around 30€ and many are cheaper. I think it must have been at one of the top names so your friends must have had some idea of the kind of place it was. What wd the equivalent in NYC have cost?

Normally a menu is displayed outside; if not and that worries you don't go in!! EL Bulli charges 120€ pp for the Ferran Adriá experience I believe. However 6 of had a really good meal (incl. a bottle of Rioja) in central Barcelona (at La Dolça Herminia) last week for that; not as adventurous as Adriá but delicious.

In New York we couldn't believe the prices we had to pay for even a glass of wine in a very ordinary restaurant, with 25dollars being the very cheapest bottle of wine. Did we feel it was a rip-off, yes, but that doesn't put us off New York.

As to people being rude, you may find that anywhere and you can't condemn a nation on a few encounters. It's true Spaniards are more direct and don't say "would you mind" or even "please " as much as English-speakers. Is that part of the problem? "Would you pass me the salt please" becomes literally "You pass me the salt?". In addition many people working in the catering and retail industry are not Spanish in fact so where does that leave the question?

As to the comments on your friends' Spanish, I find that the most strange. Most of us who moved there didn't learn our Spanish in Barcelona after all and are normally understood OK. And as to Latin-American usage nowadays there are so many Latin-Americans living here people are attuned to the accents and aware of differences in vocabulary in a way they weren't perhaps in the past.

I refer to Latin-American usage because the Spanish taught in the States is Latin-American Spanish, just as( I presume) English taught in Latin-America is American English. I remember my own pronunciation of Spanish and some of the words I used (Peninsular Spanish) being a source of amusement when I was visiting in Mexico too (for similar reasons).

Mentioned in this post
Restaurante Ferran
Restaurante Ferran
425 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Barcelona
Barcelona
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Hotel America Barcelona
Hotel America Barcelona
269 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
La Peninsular
La Peninsular
1,864 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Evanston, IL
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: HELP!!! Are Spanish people from Barcelona that rude???

I spent a week in Barcelona last November while I was studying abroad in Sevilla and I had the same anxieties before going. Especially coming from Andalucía, which is the embodiment of stereotypical Spain, Catalunya is not, nor do they ever want to be- in fact, don't call them Spanish, call them Catalan. I think that if people are rude to you, it will be good to just keep in mind the political situation with Catalunya and the rest of Spain. It's nothing personal; this is a fight against everything Spanish (including the language) that has been going on for centuries. That said, while I was there the only trouble I had was reading fast food menus for bocadillos and other than that, my increasingly Sevillano-accented Spanish was understood and accepted. With regards to the expensive dining, keep in mind that Barcelona is known as the innovative dining capital of the world, so prices will definitely be higher. I mean, if you're going to El Bulli, of course the bill will be outrageous, it's El Bulli! You can find cheaper options. For lunch, go to Sandwich and Friends; it's trendy but actually pretty reasonable. Best of luck.

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Spain
Spain
Europe
Hotel Catalunya
Hotel Catalunya
460 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Barcelona
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: HELP!!! Are Spanish people from Barcelona that rude???

Don't stay or eat on Las Ramblas. That way you won't get ripped off for food, and people will be more polite.

Las Ramblas is over run with tourists and consequently becomes disconnected from the natural state of affairs, as by nature the people here are generally very polite, and the food is great value

Mentioned in this post
Las Ramblas
Las Ramblas
31,525 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
UK
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: HELP!!! Are Spanish people from Barcelona that rude???

bcn4 life.

Very sound resume of so many factors . Rememebring Bn as it was makes me sad - for th eloclas as much as the visitors Gerlis