We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

White wine suggestions

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
317 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
White wine suggestions

I am a bit overwhelmed by all the wine choices in Spain. What are the names of crispy, unoaked white wines? At home I prefer a sauvignon blanc, to give you an idea. Not so keen on heavy oaked chardonnays. We will do wine tasting but I would like to read up beforehand.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,309 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: White wine suggestions

I'm not keen on oaked chardonnay either but chardonnay here isn't oaked normally (not that chardonnay is that common actually, it's been introduced recently).

In restaurants we normally choose Viña Sol which is a white from Torres winery in the Penedés. In fact most Spanish whites are fairly dry (with the exception of the Gewürztraminer).D.O. Rueda is another area where white is predominant (viure and/or verdejo grapes)

Albariño is a somewhat fruitier wine from Galicia, fabulous with shell-fish

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,836 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: White wine suggestions

I'm also a wine lover and after many years I've gone off the heavy oaked chardonnay and boring pinot grigio. My favourite's also a sauvignon blanc (mostly from New Zealand, sometimes from Chile) and I love the Viña Sol that Lynda mentioned above. It's light and refreshing and very easy to drink (only 11.5% alcohol). But then you're in the land of cava (sparkling wine) so have some of that as well! Enjoy! :-)

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,092 posts
3,501 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: White wine suggestions

suziq:

Albariño wines from Galicia are excellent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galician_wine

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
317 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: White wine suggestions

Thank you all, this is exactly what I required. Looking foward to wine and cava in July!

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: White wine suggestions

another vote for albarinho. I also like portuguese white wines (vinho verde)

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,665 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: White wine suggestions

I love Albarinho as well. Another delicious choice is white Rioja. It is a bit lighter than Albarinho and quite delicious.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: White wine suggestions

Momstravel, do you remember that wine's brand/grape? Rioja is a wine region, not a kind of wine. I want to point that as, even Rioja wines are generally good, they can be light, strong, young, aged, oaked... you name it. By the way, as Rioja is the most famous wine region in Spain, you sometimes pay "for the brand" (wine from other regions may be better value).

From DO Penedes I like Viña Sol sugggested above, good value. But I prefer Atrium (same producer, Torres). Gessami or Crysalis from less-known producers are other nice whites from the same DO.

The "verdejos", especially from DO Rueda are getting very popular (not really my taste, but its all about tastes)

If you try some pintxos (Basque tapas), Txacoli is the typical Basque dry white wine to wash them down.

Salut!

VPS
Vilanova i la Geltru
Level Contributor
1,556 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: White wine suggestions

My personal favourites are Torres Esmerelda, Torres Atrium, Martin Codax Albarina and Vona Sol Reserva

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,309 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: White wine suggestions

There are some very nice Penedés whites, lots of choice in supermarkets; it's just that Viña Sol is an easy choice from a wine list. Those other Torres are rather sweeter though, aren't they? Certainly Esmeralda is the Gewürztraminer + moscatel.

Martin Codax Albariño is very popular in restaurants

Researching wines by women winemakers for a friend discovered Celler Espelt in the Emporda. It seems that their white Quinze Roures was served at El Bulli (from enotourist.net.)

"Of the whites that we tasted, one that stood out for us, was Quinze Roures (15 Oaks), a blend of white Garnatxa and Macabeo. This wine has earned a good degree of fame for being served at the now dearly departed, El Bulli. It tasted a lot like a California Sauvignon Blanc with the slightly sweet, but more tannic finish of a Pinot Grigio."

But you don't get many wines from the Empodá on Barcelona wine list (we know them from our annual stay in Pals)

Apparently viura, the grape used a lot in Rueda (with verdejo) is the same as macabeo, used a lot in the Penedés

Edited: 25 May 2013, 09:32
Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
317 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: White wine suggestions

Thanks again. Seems like we will have lots of tasting to do!