We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spain weather in August?

Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Spain weather in August?

Dear all,

I'm planning to visit Spain from 8-19 August 2013. The cities that I'm planning to go are Barcelona, Ibiza and Madrid. I heard from my friend that weather will be up to 40 degree in August? Does anyone know who true is this?

Meanwhile, could you please advise me the weather in Barcelona, Ibiza and Madrid? Is it a good time to visit these cities in August as the weather is extremely hot.

Thank you so much.

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Ibiza
Ibiza
Balearic Islands, Spain
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,276 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spain weather in August?

40 would be unusual. I was in Barcelona last year in August and it was hot and humid but not as hot and humid as Singapore. Average high temp is 28C but that is an average so some days will be warmer.

holiday-weather.com/barcelona/…

If possible you should consider timing your days in Barcelona towards the end of you holiday to experience some of the Festa Major de Gracia.

Madrid will be hotter and Ibiza a little cooler by virtue of their relative geographical positions.

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Madrid
Madrid
Ibiza
Ibiza
Balearic Islands, Spain
Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spain weather in August?

40 C at midday in August is not unusual in Madrid. However, it is very dry heat so this can be more bearable than 30 C in Barcelona with a lot more humidity.

It really comes to your tolerance to heat. And how you plan your days. Avoid the peak heat hours outside choosing places with AC (visiting museums, shopping...) or/and having a long leisure lunch plus a siesta. Enjoy the evenings and nights.

Mentioned in this post
Madrid
Madrid
Barcelona
Barcelona
Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,276 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spain weather in August?

Thanks for clarifying, belsaita. I meant that 40 would be unusual in Barcelona.

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
lincs
Level Contributor
756 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spain weather in August?

Hi have just looked on the link about the weather and further down it says that August is a quiet month in the city and that many attractions will be closed. Is this true? I presumed that with it being a major city that everything will be open all year round.

We plan to visit the barca stadium, magic fountains, segrada familia, zoo, park guell, the montjuic attractions as well as lots of wandering round the shops and old town exploring - will this all be open and doable in august?

thanks

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,212 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spain weather in August?

Maybe they haven't updated that section for quite a few years. It is true that many local businesses, shops and some bars and restaurants close in August and many locals take their holidays or escape the heat of the city, but it is also the busiest month for tourism, the highest percentage of hotel occupancy, would it make any sense to close attractions during the busiest tourist month?

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,276 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spain weather in August?

Some small businesses close, particularly, in my experience in areas that are holding Festes Majors, such as Gracia and Sants (and, BTW, you should plan to make these a big feature of your visit if you're lucky enough to hit one) but as Doff says, it's a busy month for tourism and most things will be open.

Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Spain weather in August?

If I were to cancel Madrid due to extremely hot weather in August, any other cities in Spain that you would suggest me to visit in order to avoid the heat? It will be good if near Barcelona.

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Madrid
Madrid
Spain
Spain
Europe
Barcelona
Barcelona
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
21,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spain weather in August?

Barcelona's all-time high is just over 37º same as England's all-time high (Essex), but the humdity is draining

Cooler temps are on the Bay of Biscay/ Atlantic coast (Basque country to Galicia. The scenery is stunning too, it's where the mountains come down to the sea.

Inland tends to be hot generally (last year we experienced 40º at 9pm in Pamplona mid-August; much cooler the next day in Bilbao!).

The Costa Brava coast will also be more bearable than BCN as the humidity is less oppressive.

Attractions have never been closed in August even before 1992, it's the businesses in the neighbourhoods that close, shops and some bars and restaurants because the local patrons are away.

Edited: 16 June 2013, 19:41
Mentioned in this post
Basque Country
Basque Country
Pyrenees-Atlantiques, France
Pamplona
Pamplona
Navarra, Spain
Bilbao
Bilbao
Province of Vizcaya, Spain
Costa Brava
Costa Brava
Province of Girona, Spain
Barcelona-El Prat Airport
Barcelona-El Prat Airport
El Prat de Llobregat, Spain
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
66,376 posts
3,763 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spain weather in August?

Jamie:

Go to the north like Bilbao and San Sebastian in August to avoid the heat.

Mentioned in this post
Bilbao
Bilbao
Province of Vizcaya, Spain
Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Spain weather in August?

Dear ALL,

Thank you so much for the valuable info. Really appreciate a lot.

Thanks again. :)