We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hostel Gat xino surroundings

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Hostel Gat xino surroundings

Hello,

I plan to visit Barcelona and consider staying with my family near Hostel Gat Xino. .

Is it safe surrounding? We plan do do a lot of walking, and come back lately. Which surroudgings sholuld we avoid ?

Regards

jo_1024

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,566 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hostel Gat xino surroundings

Difficult question. Much of the area has improved in recent years. Nearby Carrer de la Paloma got a bad write-up some time back. There is a history of prostitution and drug usage in the area but I think much of that has migrated closer to the port. We walked down Joaquin Costa last September and didn't see a single hooker or discarded needle.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hostel Gat xino surroundings

Thanks for your response,

I've heard about EL Raval, it's southern part and Nou de la Rambla which is told to be unsafe. As you write, the northern part also may be somewhat ucertain - which makes me rather to opt-out.

Regards,

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,566 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hostel Gat xino surroundings

Actually I quite like Raval. I seldom worry too much about "safety" and am frequently uncertain of its definition. Crossing roads in most cities is more 'unsafe' than most of Raval.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hostel Gat xino surroundings

I never felt unsafe in that street and surroundings. One of my friends live there and my fav cocktail bar in town (Negroni) and my fav sandwich place (Fidel) are in the area, so I've been around here often at night, many times alone. I too go often to the Filmoteca and the Conservatori del Liceu, both in "worse" streets than Gat Xino, and never had a problem.

However, is not a pretty area and I understand that many can feel uneasy around there.

5. Re: Hostel Gat xino surroundings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2014, 05:16