We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The best city beach for a solo traveller

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
6 posts
Save Topic
The best city beach for a solo traveller

Dear all,

I'm planning to bathe a bit on the beach in BCN but I will go to one alone. I've read all about the theft on the city beaches. Is there any recommendation for a city beach which provides lockers? I won't bring valuables but basic personal belongings. Thanks a lot!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,287 posts
3,473 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The best city beach for a solo traveller

Grace:

At the beaches you will find many elderly women who do not enter the water and just sunbathe all the time. Find one of these women and sit beside her and ask her to watch your belongings. Most of them will be friendly and will watch your things while you are in the water. I have never seen lockers at any Spanish beaches.

6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The best city beach for a solo traveller

Dear Benny Malaga,

Thank you very much for your advice. I have never tried this before... By the way, how should I ask for their help in Spanish? I don't speak any...but I can try to learn. Thanks again!!!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,240 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The best city beach for a solo traveller

There are lockers in Barceloneta beach, just below Hospital del Mar... if you do not want to resort to old ladies ;-)

(Never occurred to me, Benny)

6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: The best city beach for a solo traveller

Dear Belsaita,

Thank you very much for your reply!!! That's good tip for a non-spanish speaking me!!! Do you usually go to Barceloneta beach when you are alone as well? Thanks a lot!!!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,287 posts
3,473 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The best city beach for a solo traveller

Graceway:

You can write on a piece of paper:

"Señora, Buenos dias. Me hace el favor de vigilar mis cosas cuando entro en el agua? Muchas gracias."

6. Re: The best city beach for a solo traveller

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 14 July 2013, 13:44
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: The best city beach for a solo traveller

Dear Benny,

Thank you very much for your hints. I will try if the situation approves. Thanks a lot, dear all!!!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,240 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The best city beach for a solo traveller

Hola Grace, you're welcome. I'm not really a beach girl and when I go it is rarely alone (I basically go accomanying to others). I do not go to Barceloneta as I do not live nearby, so it would make little sense to me. If I'm going to take some transport it would be to a nicer beach out town.

But in any case, living there we only bring our towels, suncream, petty cash, a book and transport card. So, not really much to look after. Some people carry their phones and some stuff in one of these waterproof bags/boxes you can take with you when swimming (I do not know their name in Spanish, let alone in English)

Regarding the "piece of paper" approach... I'm not sure how this will work here. Benny: you are used to Málaga where the people and customs are quite different, and I guess more relaxed. Here, this probably will work with some people. But others may be suspiciuos or upset. Here, when someone approaches you with a written paper is usually someone asking for money (and an common trick for pickpockets). Not on the beach (beacuse as I said, I rarely go) but anywhere else in town, most locals just ignore anyone aproaching them with a piece of paper. Sad but this is how it is.

Here, probably a "por favor" with a big smile and just mimic will work much better. Or approaching any family of tourists. These are much easier to find than locals in the central beaches of Barcelona anyway :)

In any case, if I was to go alone, I would only bring my basics and/or use the lockers. You do not need much stuff on the beach.

6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: The best city beach for a solo traveller

Hola Belsaita,

I will exactly bring what you mentioned and I have already bought a little waterproof plastic bag with me. I am just afraid if my flipflops, towel and dry clothes will be taken away. Hahaha...

Thank you very much for your sharing. I think I will go to a beach bravely without my smartphone, camera and much cash!

10. Re: The best city beach for a solo traveller

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2014, 05:19