We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving a rental into France

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
183 posts
238 reviews
Save Topic
Driving a rental into France

We are renting a car through Autoeurope, and it is actually through Hertz.

What are the rules for driving into France and are fees to be expected?

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,774 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving a rental into France

Make sure it is OK to take it into France; I imagine it is and no extra fees.

We have rented in Italy and driven in Austria and Slovenia . We were only asked about Slovenia and Croatia: they gave us an extra document to show at the border if nec (it wasn't). Renting in Berlin once we were asked if we were going to Poland and the Czech republic (said maybe and were given an insurance document). But in neither case did the rental go up.

What is incredibly expensive is dropping a car off in another country but I don't think that is what you have in mind?

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,905 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving a rental into France

You should not have a problem at all. I think it is alwas best to have your International Drivers License, we have never been checked, but alwas a good plan to have one. Its all about CYA, we alwas get ours at AAA.

Good luck and have fun. Hubie

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
60,080 posts
3,606 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving a rental into France

Jpax:

You need an International Driver License for Spain.

I would rent a car with a GPS, especially if you do not speak French.

4. Re: Driving a rental into France

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2014, 05:19