We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I see castellers when in Barcelona?

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,365 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Should I see castellers when in Barcelona?

Well my answer is obviously "yes". If at all possible you should make an effort to enjoy the remarkable achievements of these pillars of Catalan culture. But although I've seen hundreds of castells built over the last twelve years and have even been privileged to help build a few I've never seen anything quite like this.

naciodigital.cat/laflama/…natacio

Bravo, Castellers de Barcelona!

Northern California
Level Contributor
166 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I see castellers when in Barcelona?

One of the best thing we did while in Barcelona was watching the Castells from Barcelona and Lleida. We were fortunate enough to see them July 6th in Barcelona at the Avinguda de la Catedral . There were groups of seniors dancing traditional dances with a large, live band before the Castellers arrived making it a very festive time. If you get a chance, don't miss it. And it's all free!

lincs
Level Contributor
748 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I see castellers when in Barcelona?

Where and when can you see the castellers? We will be in Barcelona from the 19th - 23rd August, would it be possible to see them and if so where please.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
545 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I see castellers when in Barcelona?

cazandash, I found this calendar for you, hope it helps, but I can not see the dates for 19th-23rd August!

castellersdebarcelona.cat/colla/calendari

pandachris2 thank you so much for the link! The other day a friend was telling me about the ceremony and the public was crazy to see a so nice water castellers! Barcelona is a metropolitan city but also a "pueblo" that cares so much about traditions and folklore!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
6,656 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I see castellers when in Barcelona?

there are a small performance on 20th in Gracia:

Trobada de les colles de cultura popular de Gràcia (Barcelona)

20/08/2013

Castellers de la Vila de Gràcia.

Hora: 18:00

Lloc: Plaça de la Vila de Gràcia

Població: BARCELONA

here you can check all perfomances:

www.cccc.cat/continguts/agenda-i-resultats-6

on August there are some important dates:

19th - Tarragona

25th - l'Arboç

30th - Vilafranca

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,365 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I see castellers when in Barcelona?

I would think the Gracia event mentioned by slatkin will be a nice one. The location is excellent and with luck the temperature will have dropped a little. It sounds like there will be more than just castellers. If so and there are people with soft caps and muskets, don't stand too close! The Gracia colle of castellers wear a rather nice blue so make for some attractive holiday snaps.

As hereBacelona says, Barcelona can sometimes be a pueblo and it shows at events away from the centre, like the Gracia one. I'm guessing that there might be a correfoc in Gracia during cazandash's stay. That might get them planning their next visit to the region.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I see castellers when in Barcelona?

Thanks for sharing that link Chris! This Castell on the water was truly amazing and unique.

cazandash: do not miss that event in Gracia. Plus, Gracia is a great part of town for dinner and drinks after the Castellers and other traditional performances.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,365 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I see castellers when in Barcelona?

I couldn't see myself volunteering for the pinya for that one, belsaita :)

I agree re the dining and drinking in Gracia. There are some super places.

Colorado
Level Contributor
40 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I see castellers when in Barcelona?

About what time do they perform?

lincs
Level Contributor
748 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should I see castellers when in Barcelona?

Thank you for the information, I am really interested in going. I will be staying at the Fira Palace near the magic fountains - would you advise getting a taxi from there? Is there any more information you could give me please? How long it lasts, what time to get there for, anything else of interest nearby?

Sorry to hijack someone elses post.

lincs
Level Contributor
748 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should I see castellers when in Barcelona?

And what is a correfoc? I'm really intrigued :-)