We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Schedule for Merce Festival 2013 (Sept 20-24)?

Level Contributor
404 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Schedule for Merce Festival 2013 (Sept 20-24)?

We will be in Barcelona between Sept 19 and 23. I read the useful article in Tripadvisor about the Merce Festival, (Sept 20-24 in 2013, according to the merce.bcn.cat/en website). A few questions, as the info I located confused me:

1. barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/events/la-mer… has two links under Program of events for 2013:

- one for Timetable of main traditional events of La Merce 2013. When I looked at it, it refers to 2012 and the dates are not for 2013 (e.g. the 20th is on Friday, not Thursday in 2013). Does anyone know where to find the schedule of events for 2013?

- one for Entire program of events for La Merce 2013 where, (unless I missed it), I could not locate any schedules...

I understand that the Piromusical takes place at the Magic Fountain, ( I am guessing but do not know), probably not the first night, on Friday the 20th. If this is correct, would anyone know if the usual 9 pm light show at the fountain will be on on Friday the 20th? We were planning to see the "traditional" show on this Friday night but do not know if it will be impacted by the Festival related activities.

I'd appreciate some clarification from a local regarding the above for 2013. Thank you.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,981 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Schedule for Merce Festival 2013 (Sept 20-24)?

I'm hardly local but I do know a bit La Merce. Ignore the stuff on the website that you mentioned. The programme is not usually released until a couple of weeks before the festival starts and Piromusical is the closing event.

This is probably the best resource for details but so far all you will see is the winner of the poster competition and an announcement that Ferran Adria will address the opening ceremony, Toc d'Inici. Quite a coup. It will be shown on the big screen outside the Ajuntament on Placa de Sant Jaume before the excitement of Toc d'Inici itself. It will be in Catalan, of course.

The Magic Fountains will operate as per normal except on Piromusical night which is likely to be the Tuesday.

Level Contributor
404 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Schedule for Merce Festival 2013 (Sept 20-24)?

Thank you, I will check again mid- September. I am glad that the Magic Fountain light show will not be impacted on the 20th.

barcelona
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Schedule for Merce Festival 2013 (Sept 20-24)?

hi Suzanna,

Piromusical marks the end of the Mercè...and for reason as Panda said it will be probably on 24th....

On Friday 20th is "Toc D'inici" and the "pregó" (an speech of a local celebrity) wit Ferran Adrià..

in your link there are some mistakes...for instance they confuse "castellers" with "falcons"...castellers will be on sunday (with Vilafranca and Minyons and Barcelona) and on tuesday (local groups: Barcelona, Sants, Gracia, Poblesec, Sagrada Familia....). Falcons are on sunday morning....

Correfoc will be on saturday or on sunday, but i dnt' think in both days....it sounds very strange for me...

Add music and shows from Friday to Tuesday in Ciutadella Park, Montjuich Castle, Plaça del Rei, plaça reial, plaça catalunya, etc.....

They put information in this webpage : http://merce.bcn.cat/

You can check it a pair of weeks before...

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,981 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Schedule for Merce Festival 2013 (Sept 20-24)?

Thanks for posting the link, slatkin. I meant to post it in my earlier reply but clearly wasn't paying attention.

I have to say, for my money, Toc d'Inici is much more interesting than the fountains. However it might be possible to see both if you go for the late (23:30? fountains.

Toc d'Inici might seem a bit strange at first because you have quite a long stand whilst the formal addresses and the key note speech take place but it is followed by a wonderful display of all the elements of Barcelona's Seguici Popular plus a few others, a rather dramatic fireworks display and if they continue with recent tradition, the first show of the projections on the Ajuntament - which is likely to be rather more visually arresting than the Fonts Magica. Additionally it is your one chance this year to see and hear the marvellous Ministrals de Cami Ral - because Toc d'Inici is their only annual appearance.

Take provisions and comfortable footwear and see Barcelonin popular culture at its best - and you'll still have time for the late fountain show - unless you decide to head for the big fireworks display from Barceloneta beach - though there might be another of these the following evening.

Level Contributor
404 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Schedule for Merce Festival 2013 (Sept 20-24)?

Can one watch the "Toc D'inici" from the distance and if so where from?

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,981 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Schedule for Merce Festival 2013 (Sept 20-24)?

Not easily. It might well be on TV, though - but the pleasure comes from being on the spot IMO. You could get to the Pans & Co sandwich place very early, I suppose and occupy their upstairs window, hopefully buying plenty of bocadillos, pastries and coffees but Placa de Sant Jaume is enclosed on all four sides with mainly adminstrative buildings (albeit rather grand ones). The projections in particular are enormously better at first hand because the 3D effects don't translate well to screens and need to be seen straight on.

By following the link supplied by 5de8 above (and not slatkin - my apologies to both of you - multi-tasking is bad for me), clicking on the Audiovisuals link and then watching the videos entitled "Projeccions a la facana de l'Ajuntament" or "Barcelona la casa de tots" you will get some idea about this particular element and why it should be viewed from a decent vantage point.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Schedule for Merce Festival 2013 (Sept 20-24)?

suzanne - i would HIGHLY recommend attending piromusical on the final day of the festival - most likely to be tuesday september 24th.

you not only get the fountains show but a breathtaking 30 mins firework display to music with 100,000 of your closest friends :)

get there around 7-8pm with a blanket and some food/wine and have a little picnic. then at 10pm, prepare to be amazed.

as for the 20th, imho, if you plan to go to piromusical, i would go to toc d'inici - the opening ceremony at placa juame instead of the fountains. it's a little taste of many things for the festival.

Level Contributor
404 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Schedule for Merce Festival 2013 (Sept 20-24)?

Thanks. Unfortunately we will be in town only until the 23rd, but we will take into account your advice while there.

9. Re: Schedule for Merce Festival 2013 (Sept 20-24)?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 August 2014, 05:17