We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving on National Day- Oct 12

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
15 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving on National Day- Oct 12

We will be arriving on the morning of National Day. Will there be any trouble with transportation? Also, with this being a Saturday as well, will anything be open such as Gaudi attractions, restaurants, etc.?

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,412 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving on National Day- Oct 12

..... Oct 12, arriving in Barcelona and saying 'national' day.... ufff, man, getting started on the wrong foot!.

Coming on holiday, probably to relax and do some sightseeing, you might not be interested in boring lectures... so I'd simply lay down two simple concepts so you understand my earlier statement: Barcelona is the capital of Catalonia (you might google for it if you're curious). Catalonia was 'annexed' so to speak to the Spanish some 300 years ago... yet Catalans -inhabitants of Catalonia- are deeply proud of their heritage and sense of nationality. Now... Catalonia's National Day is Sept 11th.... do you see where I'm going? ;)

Anyhow, don't worry, there won't be any problem with transportation, restaurants will be open (most of them) and the world will indeed continue spinning in Barcelona. Shopping and businesses is another matter.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,092 posts
3,501 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving on National Day- Oct 12

John:

Most stores may be closed, but you will find many souvenir stores open. Restaurants will be open and so will museums. Transportation will run regularly.

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
3,982 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving on National Day- Oct 12

Enric, this is not the place for expressing your small agendas or nationalistic taste. Indeed the OP is right in asking about National Day transportation and other opening schedules because indeed it is a public holiday in barcelona, as it is in the rest of spain.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,309 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving on National Day- Oct 12

I don't think that pointing out that Catalonia's national day is la Diada, 11th September is going too far really. I imagine visitors coming next year on the 300th anniversary of that 11th September will be made very aware of these issues. And certainly anyone coming to Barcelona on 12th October and expecting to see big celebrations is going to be in for a diasappointment! The falange used to organise a little something, I remember from the late 90's.

12th October used to be called Dia de la Hispanidad (Columbus Day is the US equivalent)

…wikipedia.org/wiki/…B1a

Most shops will be closed, some museums open only till lunchtime (2 - 3pm)

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
15 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving on National Day- Oct 12

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the candid responses and they have been helpful. I would rather know the right things as opposed to wrong before arriving. We are not going for any particular celebrations only arriving that day for a long week to enjoy Barcelona. Planning to stay moving that day to knock off jet lag and wanted to be sure that my planning was intact.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,412 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving on National Day- Oct 12

@myscreen123

I'm merely pointing out to a guess of my city a fact and putting him right on an issue he's obviously not aware of. I don't appreciate your disrespectful (and demeaning) comment.

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
3,982 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving on National Day- Oct 12

I don't see anything disrespectful or demeaning in pointing out your message was not only off-topic, but also plain wrong from a fact point of view in many senses. OP was asking about transportation on National Day, and as far as things go, the only official national day in spain is oct 12th, as sep 11th is not a national day but the "day of the autonomous region of catalonia".

What I really don't understand, in this and other threads off-topic (often with catalan independence/national feeling as main issue), is the labor of DE of Barcelona, not only ignoring what I think it is clearly off-topic remarks, but backing them up as in this case.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
6,488 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arriving on National Day- Oct 12

myscreen123,

in other topics related with 11S questions i don't see the problem talking about it going a bit further than the question asked. travel is not just watch stone buldings, eat and take pictures, or at least it is not enough for me.

on this topic i think that you are right and there are no reason for talking about a different thing.

New Orleans
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arriving on National Day- Oct 12

We will arrive in Barcelona on October 11. We are wondering if the wineries in the Cava area will be open and whether transportation (either by train or bus/car tours) will be readily available to that area on Saturday October 12. Thanks for any help.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arriving on National Day- Oct 12

Hi,

So on 11th Sept it will be business as normal apart from shops been closed?

do you know if all major attractions will be open on this day (Bus turistic pass)

Thanks