We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay if not city centre?

London, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay if not city centre?

Hi lovely people,

I'm looking to go to Barcelona and people on here told me staying in the city centre is the best place (as it would be ideal, with everything close by, and I agree), but if I can't find a decent affordable hotel in the city centre, what would be the next best areas to stay in?

Some hotels are quite cheap but on the map they seem to be outside the city (which might explain why they're cheaper).

So I'm trying to see if I can find a hotel maybe just outside the city or in another nice place.

I'm a 22 year old male, who will be travelling solo (ca. first week of october). So I'm looking for preferably a relatively busy area with restaurants/bars etc nearby.

Any help would be appreciated!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay if not city centre?

Hey Reg,

Have you gone off the idea of staying in a hostel then? If you give us an idea of your budget we may be able to suggest suitable accommodation for you.

Edited: 28 August 2013, 18:16
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay if not city centre?

Or staying in a hostAl?

A hostal in Spain is like a small basic hotel (so, not shared rooms, in many not shared toilets...), usually family-run. Some are real gems.

I would rather stay in a basic hostal in the very city centre than in a luxury hotel miles away...

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,922 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay if not city centre?

Hi Belsaita :)

Any hostal in particular that you'd recommend? Got the daughter of a colleague of mine visiting soon and I was also asked this question, but I'm afraid I've got not a clue on which hostals to point them to.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay if not city centre?

Nope, sorry! I can't help about accomodation in Barcelona, I did not used any since I moved ages ago :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay if not city centre?

Yeah not feeling like going to a hostel. I'd rather have my own room. I'm not sure how expensive Barcelona is so I don't wanna make a budget guess. I'm quite flexible with budget. But I don't want something too luxurious. Something cheap/good value is good enough. I only need pretty much basic accommodation. But I don't want it to be horrible. Sorry for being so vague!

And Hostal? Hmmm. I'll have a look into that.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,922 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay if not city centre?

Check numbeo.com and compare London and Barcelona to have a rough idea on how much more cheap the city is.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,980 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay if not city centre?

I was in London this weekend, Believe me, for doing most tourist things (like eating and drinking) London is more expensive, especially if you're on a tight budget. You can eat very well for less than €15 pp in Barcelona without much effort and can manage for less than that with only a bit more.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,922 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay if not city centre?

timeout.cat/barcelona/…restaurants-barats

(do use Google translate)

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay if not city centre?

Reg, on booking.com there's still some guest houses and hotels available in the city centre from around £200 - £400 for about 5 nights if that helps (don't know exactly how long you're going for?) Have another look. Check out the reviews before you book anywhere.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
545 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay if not city centre?

Have you tried with airbnb.com? You can rent a full apartment but also your own room or shared room with people living in Barcelona (and all around the world). Different price/type of accommodation and location. Hope this can help you!