We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monserratt

epsom
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Topic
Monserratt

Hello,

How long is the FCG train journey from Barcelona to Monserratt ?

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,181 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monserratt

About 1 hr 5 mins, then either 5 mins on the cable car (Aeri) or 15 mins on the rack railway (Cremallera). You have to choose which one when buying your train ticket.

Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Monserratt

Is this journey covered in a 4 or 5 day metro pass (card)?

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,181 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monserratt

No it is not on the metro, you have to buy a separate ticket.

MILLVILLE
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monserratt

I am going to Barcelona in Nov of this year and would like to know is this Train usually crowded (would we be able to sit or would we have to stand for the whole trip.)

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,181 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monserratt

I was there in May this year, I got to the train station about 30 minutes before time and got a seat on the train easily. However by the time it left, the train was full and people were standing. Also remember this not an express service,but an urban stopping train and many locals and commuters use it to get to other places.

Edited: 11 September 2013, 16:31
Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,090 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monserratt

My wife and I are there in December, is Monserratt worth a visit? If it is what time would you suggest is best to go. Thanks in advance.

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,181 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Monserratt

My wife and I enjoyed our visit, but in May the weather was really pleasant, and we could explore some of the walks around. Personally I think December might be rather cold on the mountain (and possible wet) but of course the choice is yours.

I think a morning train would be best

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
6,915 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Monserratt

on december go at morning, but as you dont need book in advance check for a montserrat forecast cos on december it could be cold and foggy, so better spend your time doing something else.

Merriam, Kansas
Level Contributor
99 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Monserratt

I went in November last year, and I had to take my winter jacket (I live in Kansas City). it was pretty cold, but it is beautiful. You get a little warmer once you start walking around.

I went in the afternoon and we easily find seats, it was less than half full, but at the end of the day, it was incredibly full and we were standing all the way to Barcelona (not good). I hopefully can go again this November and I will take the recommendation to go in the morning

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
160 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Monserratt

To get a bigger chance for a seat on your way home I suggest you take the train down.

In that case youll be boarding the train one stop before the cabin-car bunch.

I spent the journey back to Barcelona standing on a crowded train yesterday.

Some 20+stops.; (.