We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelona photography queries

Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Barcelona photography queries

I will be in Barcelona from 23-27 for an official work. But will try to carry my camera and photograph few structures from outside as well as inside. I have few queries :

1) Is it safe to carry the gear (DSLR + couple of small lenses, including a wide angle lens + camera bag + probably monopod) on the streets, or is it risky?

2) What are the structures I should try to cover? I will try to manage 2 or at the most 3 days for photography.

3) Is renting a bike worth or metro should be the best option? I am planning to buy a 5 day metro card.

4) I will be in Barcelona on 24th sept. If is it too crowded on the streets, is it worth carrying the photography gear outside on that particular day?

Sorry, I don't mean to sound rude but have been reading too much about street safety and theft, so just want to be cautious.

Thank You.

Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Barcelona photography queries

Also, is photography allowed inside the famous structures?

BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barcelona photography queries

Hola,

The safety issue with photo equipement ha ben discussed here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187497-i44-k42885…

The places to cover: It depends on your interest. But for me a must do : La Sagrada Familia and Parc Güell. You can spend hours there.Another place is Passeig de Gràcia with all the modernists buildings there.

Photography is allowed inside all those places. Until a year ago it was not permitted inside el Palau de la Música Catalana, but since last year is O.K. on visitis (not during concerts of course).

Hope to have helped.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
10,053 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Barcelona photography queries

You say you're here for work, may I assume you're a photojournalist or a photographer? If so, I'm pretty sure you already know the basic rules of safety about discretely carrying your equipment so there's not really much point on us telling you that. Barcelona is no different from other major cities in this sense. Execute caution and you shouldn't have any problem. There are millions of people bringing their cameras and the vast majority have no troubles whatsoever... yet, as in any big city, muggings do occur.

My advice would be taking the metro as taking a bike is yet another 'item' you have to take care of and watch out for.

La Merce (20-24th Sept) is the period of the festivities of one of the patronesses of the city therefore there are plenty of celebrations... but life goes on so don't expect to find 'everything' crowed, just certain areas at certain times -when the celebrations occur.

Edited: 10 September 2013, 20:38
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
10,053 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Barcelona photography queries

Ah yes, in principle, by law, the only things you cannot photograph are: police stations, police officers and police cars, and certain government buildings... Note though that, contrary to other countries around the world with these same restrictions where the law is strictly applied, in Spain this particular law is rarely enforced . In my line of work I've had to deal with this issue a few times, I myself was really surprised to find out about this restrictions because you can often see photographs of such nature published. Furthermore, many tourists ask to be photographed standing with police officers and quite often they accept. Yet the law exists, so at least you should be aware.

Also some private buildings/attractions that don't allow pictures to be taken do specifically indicate so normally by visible signs -being private property one can decide whether one allows visitors to take pictures or not. But as JoseAntonio mentioned, almost all will allow pictures being taken.

Edited: 10 September 2013, 20:49
Palafrugell, Spain
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barcelona photography queries

What you photograph will depend on the theme that you want. You could do the tourist sights, but there's a whole lot more possibile. For instance sea and docks, particularly if you get good light eg from Port Olimpic as the sun sets across the city. Alternatively you could go gothic and spend your time around the medieval buildings and plalaces. For landscapes go to the high points. For modern buildings the @22 area and the Forum. Or for modernista there are the classic Gaudi buildings, but it also exists in shop signs and other symbols. Alternatively there are huge opportunities for photographing people doing different activities as the city practically lives outside. Each barrio has a corner and an angle in the details.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
10,053 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Barcelona photography queries

... thanks Saul D for your input, indeed the themes are endless.

One word of advice though: if you're taking photos of people to be printed/published somewhere (book, blog, brochure...) note you DO need a model release of each of the persons appearing in your pictures... otherwise you risk being sued. Alternatively you can blur their faces so they are beyond recognition and thus you wouldn't need a model release.

7. Re: Barcelona photography queries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2014, 06:23