We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

choosing a hotel in quietish area

hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
49 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
choosing a hotel in quietish area

I am coming to Barcelona in November and am looking for a 3 or 4 star hotel up to about £100 a night for 2 people in one room. I want to be in easy reach, mainly walking distance of main attractions but am told The Ramblas is really busy and noisy and not such good restaurants more burger type. It was suggested I look a little North of The Ramblas. We are only there for the weekend so need to be close to everything and may be useful if near hop on hop off bus. We are a couple in our 50s and don't need a hotel with a pool just one that has good reviews.

There are just so many hotels it is mind boggling.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
6,966 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: choosing a hotel in quietish area

you got a good advice about la rambla. obviously there are some few good spots to eat there, but basically it became a tourists trap. few days ago on a tv program about tourism in barcelona they said that around 80 milion people pass by la rambla every year (not different persons obviously) and 80% of them are tourists.

back to your question, yes, going "north" is better. hotels around plaça catalunya and plaça universitat are well placed and offer easy acces from the airport ( h jazz, h atlantis, h regina, h pulitzer, etc ). same could be said about hotels on rambla catalunya (a different rambla) or passeig de gracia.

really, check venere or any page like that and look for hotels around plaça catalunya.

Barcelona...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: choosing a hotel in quietish area

Hey.. you are correct. Las ramblas is very noisy. I would suggest something in Gracia. It is a nice neighborhood but a bit less touristy. You could also find something on Gran Via by Passeig De Gracia.. maybe a bit noisy but definitely less noisy than Las Ramblas. The further away you get from Las Ramblas the less noisy it will be

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: choosing a hotel in quietish area

Hi Anne

After a LOT of looking I settled on tripadvisor.co.uk/…REVIEWS . It is 4*, has excellent reviews and we are paying just under £275 for a 3 night mid week stay in a twin room with bathroom and breakfast. It seems to be in a nice safe district and within walking distance of a lot of interesting places.

Steve

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,262 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: choosing a hotel in quietish area

Hola Anne,

Apart from the location, one must also consider the construction and soundproofing of the hotel. Some hotels are in noisy areas but with good soundproofing, you'll still sleep like a babe. Example: Hotel Bagues on La Rambla.

As slatkin_10 has suggested, look at hotels around Plaça de Catalunya or Rambla de Catalunya. I've stayed at Hotel Jazz and although my room faced a busy street and many windows, I didn't hear a thing.

On Rambla de Catalunya, I've stayed at the NH Calderon and again, very quiet (too little air con but not a problem in Nov).

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,262 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: choosing a hotel in quietish area

Oops, ran out of editing time.

Hola Anne,

Imo, the old city can be noisy too. Streets (or alleys) are narrower and bldgs are closer to each other, causing sound to get magnified. More youth hostels with energetic (read: partying, non-sleeping) guests in the old city.

Gracia is good for longer stays.

hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
49 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: choosing a hotel in quietish area

Thanks for all your advice and suggestions. I will look into these.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: choosing a hotel in quietish area

Whilst I appreciate this reply is a little late as you will have already been to Barcelona for future reference we stayed at the Hostal Mare Nostrum right in the centre of Las Ramblas and didn't hear a thing once the door to the balcony was closed. We can't fault the hotel and the staff were superb. Our balcony overlooked Las Ramblas so we could enjoy an evening drink before going out to dinner, or afterwards sit and 'people watch'.....fabulous

8. Re: choosing a hotel in quietish area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2015, 06:17