We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice resort near Barcelona (not too 'Brits abroad'!)

Ilkley
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Nice resort near Barcelona (not too 'Brits abroad'!)

Can anyone recommend a nice resort near Barcelona that's not too 'Brits abroad'? Wanting to do a 2 centre holiday - a few nights in Barcelona to see the sights then a more 'beachy' resort (for the kids!) within a 1-2 hour drive, but want a more 'authentic' experience (ie: don't want a British Theme pub on every corner!!). Thanks!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice resort near Barcelona (not too 'Brits abroad'!)

Actually, virtually any beach town except Lloret de Mar may fit your bill.

Even Sitges, one of the most popular touristy beach towns near Barcelona probably has a British pub or two but I can't remember seeing any. Or Tossa de Mar, next to Lloret but a whole different atmosphere.

I any case I can't avoid recommending my hometown: Vilanova i La Geltru. It has the best beaches in the area IMHO, lots of things to do, many great restaurants and bars... but it receives mainly Spanish tourists, they know better where to stay when looking for quality at reasonable prices :) You will have a hard time finding a British-themed pub there. There are a couple of Irish bars as far I can remember, but even these are quite local, they have been there for ages and do not live exclusively from foreign tourists.

www.vilanovaturisme.net

Barcelona
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice resort near Barcelona (not too 'Brits abroad'!)

Yep, check out Casteldefells, Costa Brava and Sidges. All of these are authentic places mostly visited by the locals - didn't really see a lot of British fellows there.

Have fun.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,461 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice resort near Barcelona (not too 'Brits abroad'!)

Agreed. Avoid Salou, a bit further south (just travelled on a flight from Reus last night and if you want to avoid "Brits abroad" then you do NOT want to go there), but just about anywhere else will do. The city of Tarragona might appeal because as well as some pretty good beaches it has fantastic history and culture and a number of decent hotels. Some good restaurants as well. It seems to have been on the up in tourist terms over recent years but is able to manage the numbers well and it's far from difficult to escape the foreigners.

If you're driving though, parking in Tarragona is horrifically expensive. We popped in for a meal last Thursday and to meet a few people, We were only there for about 3 hours and the car park was about £9. For something more original, continuing south for another hour brings you to the Ebro Delta where the beaches are extensive and development has been limited. Car needed but parking is cheap/free. It's also a place to take up bird watching because the herons, gulls and terns there are spectacular - my partner snapped this pic there yesterday ....

…travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/penguinch…

Eating out in the delta is superb with lots of regional dishes including smoked eel and many fish and shellfish creations.

London, United...
Level Contributor
392 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice resort near Barcelona (not too 'Brits abroad'!)

Blanes is nice, Spanish, low level, nice beach and with a decent busy centre for evening eating & drinking.

I like Sitges but when I took my kids they spent all their time "sniggering", it depends on the children's ages I suppose.

Ilkley
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice resort near Barcelona (not too 'Brits abroad'!)

Thanks for all your 'top tips' folks! Will look into all of them over the next few weeks. Gracias! :-)

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,004 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice resort near Barcelona (not too 'Brits abroad'!)

Salou is very popular with Britsish package tourists but it's not just Brits who go there (or Brits + Russians these days). I have been a few times to meet up with a friend from Aragón whose mother has an apartment there and we quite often have bumped into people she knew from home. The Costa Daurada is the nearest coast for people from Aragón and part of Navarra so lots of Spaniards too, but yes it is a boisterous place (and the beach gets PACKED, the sand and the sea).

You might look at Cambrils, near Salou but a different atmosphere; English friends of ours stayed there and really liked it. Our own choice is the Costa Brava: we stay at Pals beach but there's not a lot going on there. Llafranc is pretty, L'Estartit is a bit more of a resort but still pretty low-key, and wonderful location opposite the Medes Islands. For Costa Brava you need a car, for the other places you could get by just using the train

Southampton
Level Contributor
3,411 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice resort near Barcelona (not too 'Brits abroad'!)

We stayed in Cambrils in May and it was very nice. Tarragona seems a decent place as well.

VPS
Vilanova i la Geltru
Level Contributor
1,558 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice resort near Barcelona (not too 'Brits abroad'!)

For easy access close to Barcelona I would definitely recommend Vilanova i la Geltru. My thoughts are exactly the same as Belasaita regarding the town, beach and restaurants. The good thing is that it is in a very central position to visit Sitges, Barcelona, Salou, Cambrils, Barcelona and even the Costa Brava.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,191 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice resort near Barcelona (not too 'Brits abroad'!)

Second for Vilanova www.vilanovaturisme.cat

Barcelona airport bus to Vilanova www.monbus.cat

Trains Vilanova to Barcelona renfe.com/viajeros.cercanias/…index.html

Edited: 01 November 2013, 22:53
10. Re: Nice resort near Barcelona (not too 'Brits abroad'!)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2014, 05:17