We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monserrat and La Sagrada Familia in one day-is it possible?

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Monserrat and La Sagrada Familia in one day-is it possible?

I hope this is the right forum- I am cruising to Barcelona in December, we will be in port on a weds 8-5pm. I visited Barcelona 20 years ago and I'm really keen to show my kids SF and see how much it's changed. My question is this-if I take the ships excursion to Monserrat 4 hours (say 9-1pm) will

This give me enough time to squeeze in a visit the SF before I need to be back onboard? Or am I trying to cover too much area and should I just remain in Barcelona? I haven't been to Monserrat before but it looks fascinating, and beautiful. However I'm not of huge religious bent so wonder if I may miss the point? Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
59,245 posts
3,585 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monserrat and La Sagrada Familia in one day-is it possible?

travelholic:

I do not think you can do Montserrat in 4 hours (9-1 pm). They say that Montserrat Mountain is a mountain full of energy and people come from all over the world to feel this energy. Some people twirl in the patio of the church to feel this energy. Many people think it is a magic mountain full of spirits. If you do go wear warm clothing because there are strong winds that chill your bones. I think I have been there four times already and have enjoyed it very much. There is an underground art gallery that is one of the best in Spain.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monserrat and La Sagrada Familia in one day-is it possible?

Honestly, I never seen people twirling in the patio of the church after dozens of visits to Montserrat or doing anything weird or looking for bizarre energies (sure there are, but Benny paints a strange image of Montserrat above, that has little to do with the usual experience you get there).

Many people head to Montserrat as it has a huge significance for we Catalans (not only religious but political and historical significance) and even more people comes for just for the beauty of the mountains, so really being not religious does not matter. Sadly, over the last years there is a huge increase of tourists heading there just because it is a "must see", so the place is becoming kind of a tourist trap too if you limit your visit to a short tour.

The monastery is not that great in itself (from a artistic point of view, the Museum is, but you have no time. Montserrat is actually a full daytrip if you want to make it justice, with a 9-1pm trip you will only rush around a few sights, not the most beautiful and at worse, most crowded times. Mind that you will spend a couple of hours en route and 15-20 mins each way just walking from the coach parking place to the church square. This gives you barely 1:30 hours of actual sightseeing, maybe less.

I would rather spend more time in Barcelona.

Edited: 05 November 2013, 11:42
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
6,969 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monserrat and La Sagrada Familia in one day-is it possible?

i neither think that it is worth. bus trip takes 1h at least, so it means that when you arrive to montserrat you have no time for anything. the church is not so impressive but the mountains are and you will have no time for walking up to sant miquel cross or take the funicular to sant joan.

instead you could spend your time walking around barcelona, visit la sagrada familia (remember book tickets in advance) discover barri gotic tour with a free tour (runnerbean has a tour at 11am everyday ) or stroll passeig de gracia and rambla catalunya.

edit: belsaita, i've seen people doing "strange" things in Montserrat, but i spent too much time there many years ago, but obviously it doesn't happen quite often.

Edited: 05 November 2013, 11:45
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monserrat and La Sagrada Familia in one day-is it possible?

Hahaha slatkin... I guess that if you spend time enough anywhere, you see someone doing something weird at some time ;-)

I heard about people going to Montserrat to see UFOs too. With the strange shaped landscapes there's no wonder there are many legends and it may attract all kinds of people. But most of them behave quite normally, at least from what I've seen.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
6,969 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monserrat and La Sagrada Familia in one day-is it possible?

yeah, there were a UFO searching group who usually met in el bruc hotel (that one on the A2 road before the tunnel). don't know if they ever saw anything, if they are going there yet or if they were ¿abducted? XD

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
218 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monserrat and La Sagrada Familia in one day-is it possible?

It can be done in a day, but it looks like you only have 7 hours (assuming that you can't get off the boat exactly at 8am and do not want to be running back on at 4:59pm. You can try if Montserrat is the priority, which means that is where you go first and if you do not have time at the end of the day for SF, thats the way it is. Having been to both my recommendation would be to stay in Barcelona and not use that much of your 7 hours for travel.

7. Re: Monserrat and La Sagrada Familia in one day-is it possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2014, 05:18