We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you need to book Sagrada Familia?

hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
49 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Do you need to book Sagrada Familia?

I am going to Barcelona for the first time next weekend and wondered what queues would be like to see Sagrada Familia if we don't book. Also is it open all weekend or do services take place.

Many thanks

France, Andorra, and Spain from...
1,045 reviews
from US$146.60*
Priority Access: Barcelona Sagrada...
2,947 reviews
from US$44.30*
Barcelona City Tour, Sagrada Familia...
1,650 reviews
from US$112.40*
Special Offer
Montserrat and Oller del Mas Tour...
440 reviews
from US$112.70*
US$118.63
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
7,549 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you need to book Sagrada Familia?

there are not regular services yet cos the building is under construction yet. time to time there are mass, perhaps 10 per year, and it should be posted on la sagrada familia web site.

it is always recommended book in advance cos lines can be quite long, i guess than longer at weekends, so it is better get your ticket online and skip the line.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
63,618 posts
3,726 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you need to book Sagrada Familia?

Anne:

The queues are very long, so I would book online. Read the top question about the Sagrada Familia. They have masses every day in the basement chapel. I think it is at 6 pm or thereabouts. They have masses also on Sundays.

Level Contributor
22 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you need to book Sagrada Familia?

We booked the day before we visited and then collected the tickets from a Caixa machine which was near our metro station, although I think there is one right opposite the church anyway. Queues in the morning - we visited on a Wednesday and they were running at about 1 hour. Later in the day - some travellers we had met the day before in a queue - were queuing for 3 hours - so they said. So, best book I'd say!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
10,354 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Do you need to book Sagrada Familia?

Y-E-S!!!!!

It's a must unless you want to queue until you die!

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do you need to book Sagrada Familia?

I was in Barcelona a few weeks ago, there was already quite a lengthy queue forming around 30 minutes before the Sagrada opened.

I had bought my ticket online and printed it at home so after joining the queue for pre-booked tickets only had to wait around 5 minutes before getting in.

I spoke to several ladies staying at the same hotel, most had decided not to go in after turning up early afternoon and seeing the length of the queues, it was their first trip to Barcelona and such a shame they missed out as they had no idea pre-booking is now really essential.

This was the first time I had been since the interior had been completed - WOW!!! It was my mum's first trip to Barcelona and I was eager to show her the Sagrada and she was completely blown away by it and the other Gaudi buildings we had the time to visit, so much so she is already talking about going back.

hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
49 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do you need to book Sagrada Familia?

Thanks for quick replies. Looks like I will be booking then!

Mount Joy...
Level Contributor
25 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do you need to book Sagrada Familia?

Hi Anne! We aren't going to be there until January, so I can't attest to lines (but we're definitely buying our tickets in advance!) But I did find this page on their website regarding mass: sagradafamilia.cat/sf-eng/…spiritPregar.php

It looks like mass at the Basilica has yet to be announced, but there is a "parish church" with services

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do you need to book Sagrada Familia?

Hola, for clarification: The "parish church" is the crypt of the SF, under the main basilica. It has a separate entrance and it functions a regular parish, with all regular services. It is quite nice and you can visit there the tomb of Gaudi. But this is not the place most tourists want to visit.

9. Re: Do you need to book Sagrada Familia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2014, 05:18