We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the name of the area between PdeG and Parc Guell?

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Surbiton
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
What's the name of the area between PdeG and Parc Guell?

It's been a few years since we visited Barcelona, but I've just booked two return tickets for next March (too much wine at dinner, and unbelievable EasyJet prices).

Last time we were there we took a bus (possibly the 24) from Passeig de Garcia to the East entrance of Parc Guell. On the way we passed through what seemed to be a very attractive area, with loads of shops and local restaurants.

A look at the bus route map suggests the road could have been Gran de Garcia. Is there a name for this area, is it pleasant, and is it an area with many hotels?

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,519 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What's the name of the area between PdeG and Parc Guell?

Gràcia.

Yes, very cozzy.

No.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's the name of the area between PdeG and Parc Guell?

The area is Gracia. It was formerly an independent town and it still retains a "townish" feel in some of their streets and squares, and their inhabitants are proudly "graciencs" more than "barcelonins". "

Passeig de Gracia" actually means avenue of Gracia, because it was built where the road from Barcelona to Gracia once was . "Carrer Gran de Gracia" means "Gracia's big street", it is it's main street (obviously). "Travessera de Gracia" (that would mean "across Gracia") is another main street full of shops. The small streets and squares around these 2 main axis are well worth exploring. Amazing shopping and dining opportunities. It is a favorite area for us locals to hang out, and a favorite area for many international students and expats to live in. There are as well many bars, theaters, and some VO cinemas, so it is quite busy at night, but in a very civilized way.

Fortunately, it is still a very local area and there are not many hotels (and I really hope it keeps that way!). Easy to reach by metro or bus in any case, or walking, if you stay near the crossing of Passeig de Gracia with Av. Diagonal.

Hope this helps.... Bon viatge!

- - - -

Edit: hola Enric! You're better than me being concise ;-)))

Edited: 10 November 2013, 15:48
Surbiton
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's the name of the area between PdeG and Parc Guell?

Thanks for the replies. It sounds the sort of place it might be nice to take the bus to for an evening out. Pity there aren't many hotels in the area, but I think I've seen quite a few in the streets just to the North of Av. Diagonal.

And if I look for hotels shown as 'Gràcia' I might find some.

I must apologise - I have no idea why I keep referring to Gràcia as Garcia!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,519 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What's the name of the area between PdeG and Parc Guell?

Hi Belsaita :)) Yes, apologies for my brevity, but I was on the move. Your post though provided a wealth of details.

@exgeordie67, there are many hotels just south of Gràcia, in streets such as Diagonal. In Gràcia there are a handful too, even a couple deluxe ones (i.e. Casa Fuster). In any case, Barcelona is very compact and well communicated, so you don't need to be "in" a district to be close enough for visiting.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,323 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's the name of the area between PdeG and Parc Guell?

I agree, Gracia is a lovely area just to wander round. Gran de Gracia is Gracia's "High Street" in the English sense (Spanish would be "Calle Mayor")

Surbiton
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's the name of the area between PdeG and Parc Guell?

Thanks Enric and Lynda. I'll be looking at hotels around Diagonal.

7. Re: What's the name of the area between PdeG and Parc Guell?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2014, 05:17