We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Barcelona

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
22 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Safety in Barcelona

I'm a girl studying in Dublin and I've been planning to visit Barcelona next year alone. The only thing that makes me think twice is the safety. Is Barcelona safe for girls to travel alone?

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,811 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety in Barcelona

Chandni type Solo Trip Report into the little search box above your post and a lot will come up.

The thing you have to watch is the pickpockets/bag theives. You need to read up on their techniques. This applies to any city or place where a lot of people gather but it has become a career for some. I have a Tilly Bag where the zip goes under my arm and inside zipped pockets against my body for travel though you don't need to go that far.

There is a thread under Top Questions on the right of the page 'Transportation & Safety' too along with some relevant topics.

Otherwise as long as you behave safteywise the same you would in Dublin you should be fine. Try reading about others trips. I should reassure you.

Edited: 15 November 2013, 22:06
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
22 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety in Barcelona

Thank you so much!! I've been googling so much in this topic.

London, United...
Level Contributor
388 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety in Barcelona

You'll be fine, it's a safe City for a lone traveller, male or female. As for bags & petty crime, easy! Don't take a bag out with you, in an instant you have just become a non-target and can enjoy yourself without worry.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
586 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety in Barcelona

Excellent tip from #3 . Be aware, read about this topic to be wise and you will have no problems.

barcelona
Level Contributor
26 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety in Barcelona

I live in Barcelona, do not worry at all. It is a safe city, I walk alone home after midnight, I take the subway any time, etc. etc. just travel smart, like if you were in another european city.

uk
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety in Barcelona

Listen to barcelonabego. If anyone is going to know it will be someone actually living in barcelona.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
22 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety in Barcelona

Thank you everyone for helping out. Appreciate it!!!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,342 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety in Barcelona

NB not having a handbag doesn't necessarily mean you won't be targetted. Men do get targetted too: wallets can be extracted from pockets easily enough.

The key is to carry the minimum on your person and to watch out if you feel you are being crowded etc

9. Re: Safety in Barcelona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2014, 05:17