We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Graduating college!

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn
Level Contributor
169 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Graduating college!

Hey all!

So in May I'll be graduating college and I really want to go on a trip afterwards.

A lot of people have suggested Barcelona to me, and I just wanted to get some input. At the moment I'm torn between Barcelona (because of all the suggestions), Sicily (I've been to Taormina), and Mykonos (I've been to Greece, but mostly Athens which was blah).

I've done some travelling and from what I've found, I'm not a fan of cities...I'm from NY so when I was in Paris, I just felt as though it was vintage Manhattan. Same with Milan. I also am not a fan of museums and churches *gasp*

I love beaches, I love adventure, and I love culture. I want to FEEL like I am somewhere else.

What is your opinion or suggestions for Barcelona or my travels in general?

Thanks so much!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Graduating college!

I don't know about the other destinations, but based on what you've written above, I would strike Barcelona from your list. It's pretty much everything you don't like. If you go there for the beach, you'll be sadly disappointed and will have missed the whole point of Barcelona which is urban life, culture and architecture and all that stuff that makes a city great.

Sicily and the Greek Isles seem to be more up your alley. Perhaps you could also consider the Balearic Islands. You would get a bit of Catalan culture with a whole lot more of what you're looking for i.e. beaches and adventure.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,287 posts
3,473 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Graduating college!

Gianna:

The most popular destination in Spain right now is Barcelona. There must be a reason for this. I have traveled all over Europe and you will eat better in Spain than in any other country in Europe, and at a cheaper price. Barcelona is famous for its modernist architecture created by geniuses like Gaudi. It has more culture than the places you mention. It has beaches too.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Graduating college!

@Monsieur_Ghislain...

…nationalgeographic.com/travel/…

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Graduating college!

Hola GiannaG!

Barcelona is a great destination for a graduate... why?

Beach: …nationalgeographic.com/travel/…

Nightlife: www.timeout.com/barcelona/music-nightlife

Live music: timeout.com/barcelona/music/the-best-live-mu…

Shopping: travelandleisure.com/articles/best-of-barcel…

...more shopping: citelighter.com/film-media/fashion/knowledge…

Foooooooooooooood: frommers.com/destinations/barcelona/760363

Moving around: frommers.com/destinations/barcelona/760322

There's more to it than the city... explore*:

telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/s…

www.girona.cat/turisme/eng/activitats.php

Plenty of cultural events and parties*:

http://merce.bcn.cat/en

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g187503-i476-k4…

and it you get bored: http://www.lifestylebarcelona.com/

ah yes... and nearly 100 museums, a gazillion churches and other boring stuff too, just in case you feel the need, LOL!!!

(*only mentioned two not to clutter the post but there are plenty more!)

Hey, if this doesn't convince you I don't know what will, LOL!!!!

Edited: 24 November 2013, 13:48
Barcelona, Spain
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Graduating college!

Try Thailand - it seems to meet everything you want.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,112 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Graduating college!

Enric has found lots of reasons to tempt you, although I thought Monsieur G had got it just about right!

Sicily has at least as much culture as Barcelona (it's got a longer history for starters). It's high on my to-do list in fact. As to food: you can eat well in many countries, and often cheaper than Spain. The fantastic food we had in Poland this summer and in Croatia two years ago were two surprises on our travels. And in both cases a lot cheaper than Barcelona

In fact I'd throw in Croatia as another idea for you to consider: wonderful coastline, lots of culture but few large cities. I think you should give Italy another go too: Milan is not its most beautiful city, it'd be way down many people's lists of must-see Italian cities I would have thought.

Edited: 25 November 2013, 16:48
Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
34 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Graduating college!

Hi Gianna,

Barcelona is always Barcelona. Its atmosphere comprises the mixed feeling of large city and beach resort, but with a certain pittoresque style. I had the chance to live in both Barcelona and NYC, and I can guarantee it has nothing to do with NYC, except for the efficient public transportation system.

Note that you're travelling in May, and this month is still low season in Europe - this means that if you choose a destination that survives exclusively from tourism, it might be too dead.

The good thing about Barcelona is that the city is always full and with a happy atmosphere. If you are not satisfied, from there, you can take an overnight boat or a short flight to Ibiza and/or Mallorca, where you'll find places similar to Mykonos and Sicily.

I've also been to Croatia, and I agree with Lynda. For instance, Hvar and Dubrovnik are two amazing places The colour of the water in Dubrovnik is fantastic. If you were travelling in August, I'd suggest you to go to Croatia for sure.

If you want to experience something really different, full of culture and hospitality, go to Vietnam (for the beaches) and Cambodia (for cultural experience and adventure). You can do both countries in one shot, at least the main places.

Cheers

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
169 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Graduating college!

Thanks everyone!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Graduating college!

Let us know what's your final decision when you make it :)))

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Graduating college!

Ah yes, one last thing on the table...

Since you said you enjoyed BPM in Playa del Carmen...

http://www.sonar.es/en

https:/…BAMfestival.Barcelona.Accio.Musical

http://piknicelectronik.es/en/

Edited: 28 November 2013, 02:21