We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El 4 Gats

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
4,035 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
El 4 Gats

Apparently tis place is a bit of a Barcelona institution.

Is it a bt of a tourist Trap?

Anyone been?

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El 4 Gats

Not really a tourist trap, you find there many tourists, but locals as well. I go there now and then to have a drink, especially when we have visiting friends. However, in my opinion the food is decent but a bit overpriced, of course you pay for the setting, that is famous for a good reason. I prefer either eating same quality for less elsewhere, or spending the same money for a better gastronomic experience.... But I can see the place often :)

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,396 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: El 4 Gats

I agree with Belsaita, I also think it's a bit over-priced, yet this 'wasn't created for tourist' -so to speak. The 4 Gats it's an institution in the city (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Els_Quatre_Gats) but former glory times are over now that a century has passed and nowadays it's 'merely' another a restaurant.

Btw, out of curiosity: 4 Gats means literally "four cats" in English, and it's a Catalan colloquial expression that would translate as "only a few people" as in: was it full?.... no there were only a few people (hi havia molta gent?, no, només quatre gats)

England
Level Contributor
4,035 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: El 4 Gats

Thanks both

I'll use that expression "just four cats" from now on.

Nice one

What about Quinze (sp?) Nits?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,257 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: El 4 Gats

Quinze Nits or Fifteen nights is one of a group of restaurants, the food is reasonable quality and reasonably priced (I believe it's cooked in a central facility and shipped to the restaurants) I've had lunch at it's sister restaurant La Rita several times. Quinze Nits seems to be mainly popular because of it's location.

http://www.grupandilana.com/es/restaurantes

PS totally agree with Belsaita an Enric about 4 Gats, worth calling in for a drink to soak up the history and ambience, but with the food you pay for the history a little

Edited: 10 December 2013, 11:30
England
Level Contributor
4,035 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: El 4 Gats

cheers

England
Level Contributor
4,035 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: El 4 Gats

about 20 years ago I was in Barcelona and wandered into Placa real one evening. The was a small queue outside Quinze Nits, so i thought it must be good and joined it. Went upstairs and had a good meal at a very reasonable price. Someone said the food came from a cookery school, but I don't know if that's the case still

Might be worth a revisit

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,257 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: El 4 Gats

There are two excellent restaurants attached to 'cookery schools' that I'm aware of

Restaurante Hofmann

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187497-…

L'Escola

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187497-…

As I said I think the food for Grup Andilana restaurantes like Quinze Nits is prepared in an industrial unit somewhere and shipped to the restaurants where it is warmed as required

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: El 4 Gats

Quinze Nits never belonged to a "cookery school", unless employing inexperienced and cheaper-to-hire staff is considered a kind of school. Anyway, they will learn ;-)))

It offers decent quality at reasonable prices, as Doff said. It is no secret that most of the food this group's restaurants serve is cooked in their central kitchen and distributed to their restaurants, this is another way they keep their prices low.

All the restaurants from the Andilana group are a "sure bet" when you are looking for decent food without spending much. I often use them here in Barcelona and in Madrid.

The queues in les Quinzs Nits are mainly due to tenir location. I would never queue for long there, by the time you enter you could have walked elsewhere and have the same kind of food and probably be better served in a less busy restaurant, i.e. Market, La Polpa... Any others from the same group but not in the hearth of the touristy theme park.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,396 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: El 4 Gats

There is (was?) another quite famous restaurant based on a cookery school. I can't remember the name but it's located in Aribau corner with Aragó. Still not sure if it's still there...

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,257 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: El 4 Gats

Enric,

Are you thinking about the Fundació Escola de Restauració i Hostalaria de Barcelona? I went there many years ago. If so it's changed it's name to Escola Superior de Hosteleria de Barcelona and moved to Poblenou it's the L'Escola Restaurant I referred to above. It is still great food at budget prices, its a bit out of the way but worth the trip. (There is a less formal, cheaper version downstairs called L'Ham)