We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Neighbourhood around Arc de Triomf

London
Level Contributor
174 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Neighbourhood around Arc de Triomf

Hi,

I have been spending quite a bit of time in Barcelona over the last few months and am now seriously thinking about basing myself there from early next year.

One area that a couple of people have recommended is around Arc de Triomf and Estacio del Nord, for its proximity to El Born (and good transport links) at reasonable prices.

I'd be interested to get the views of people on this forum as to the kind of neighborhood it actually is (I will of course be heading on over there myself to have a looksee).

Thanks for any feedback :)

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,753 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Neighbourhood around Arc de Triomf

Basing yourself = moving in?

That's a lively neighbourhood, close enough to the centre but not 'the' centre itself. It's full of shops and cafes, like most other neighbourhoods. What are your expectations anyway?.

Although it's virtually impossible to match places from different cities, if I had to compare it to anything in London I'd probably compare it to Bayswater near Marble Arch.

London
Level Contributor
174 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Neighbourhood around Arc de Triomf

Enric

Thanks for the quick reply :-)

N

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,753 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Neighbourhood around Arc de Triomf

My pleasure :)

Spring Hill, FL
Level Contributor
474 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Neighbourhood around Arc de Triomf

I would also like some info about this exact area as we are staying 6 nights in an apartment on Marc D'Ausais. I see on the map a street named Carrier de Ribes that runs diagonally from Arc de Triomf up towards our apartment. Is this a pedestrian only walkway, and how would it be for rolling luggage? Then where are the largest supermarkets in the area? Also some restaurant suggestions would be welcome. Our apartment is between Sardena and Marina.

Palafrugell, Spain
Level Contributor
1,068 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Neighbourhood around Arc de Triomf

There's a covered market with a Marcadona supermarket in the Centre Civic Fort Pienc in the placa close to the junction of Ribes and Ausias Marc. There are also plenty of other supermarkets within five minutes walk - eg a Caprabo close to Pujades/Marina, another covered market on Gran Via and quite a number of shops and bars.

Ribes does have cars that use it, but it's very quiet and like most of Barcelona, the pavements are very wide - I've walked with rolling luggage in many places in BCN and never had a worry.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,753 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Neighbourhood around Arc de Triomf

Excellent response from SaulD (gràcies!)... but with a very Barcelonian mentality, hahaha!. Since @mimiccr is from Florida I'd like to add the following:

"...There's a covered market with a Mercadona supermarket...": means a indoors traditional stalls-type food market with a kind of your Whole Foods Market in it.

"...pavements are very wide...": walking on a pavement that I'm afraid would be puzzling for an American, as Saul means "sidewalk". A transatlantic misunderstanding here, the British use the word 'pavement' to refer to the pedestrian path beside a road, and most people learns British English here in Europe. In any case, let's say you can easily walk on most of them but 'very wide' is a concept that I wouldn't agree when comparing to most US streets I've known. Ribes's street walkable part of the sideway is say 10 or 12 feet wide ( https://maps.google.com/maps?q=carrer+ribes+barcelona&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x12a4a2e1c85e9385:0xcda6a23ecae21e6e,Carrer+de+Ribes,+08013+Barcelona,+Spain&ei=6ausUp23IcWS7AbUs4HADw&ved=0CC0Q8gEwAA please use the street view in Google Maps for this) Yet it's wide enough for what you want, isn't it?

"... a Caprabo" is a sort of Kroger or Delhaize.

Mind me the supermarket comparison is only indicative as chains in the US are much bigger both in number of stores as well as in size, after all we're comparing two countries one of which is nine times bigger (in population) than the other so it's only natural that these things occur.

Edited: 14 December 2013, 19:21
Spring Hill, FL
Level Contributor
474 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Neighbourhood around Arc de Triomf

Thanks to Saul for the answers to my questions, and a further thanks to Enric for the translation. I sort of read between the lines and understood it pretty good. The supermarket at Ft. Pienic sounds like what we are looking for and if it is near Ribes & Marc A, then it's within a half block of our apartment so that's excellent. We do want to do a little food preparation, esp. breakfasts before touring. Thanks again!!

8. Re: Neighbourhood around Arc de Triomf

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2014, 05:16