We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the public transportation sufficient for travelling?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is the public transportation sufficient for travelling?

Hi,

Am thinking of visiting Barcelona in Summer 2014. As I have never been in Spain before, I'm wondering if buses/metro/taxi will take you to most places or will having a car makes life much easier?

I would prefer to take the public transportation as I will get to roam around more random places.

Will public transportation easily hits most of the major tourists spots and if I get out till late at night, are taxi abundant as well?

Thanks in advance !

Edited: 13 December 2013, 17:10
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,269 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the public transportation sufficient for travelling?

Hola CIBOI,

Public transportation (ie metro, bus and tram) and taxis are very efficient in Barcelona. Just like HK, you don't need (or want) a car! Buy a T10 ticket to ride the metro and enjoy some transfers for free. You can even use the T10 to take the Rodalies train from the aiport - it works out to be under 1 euro per person. Not the fastest or most convenient method but definitely the cheapest.

Taxi from the airport is approx 25-30 euros. Aerobus to the centre of town is under 6 euros / person.

Have a look at the Top Questions on the right side of this column ----->>>> Lots of great tips, pictures and videos.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the public transportation sufficient for travelling?

Many thanks for your fast reply :)

Yes, I'll definitely be drilling and reading lots of past posts on this board. I've still got a lot of time so I guess let the hard work begins but I am quite excited for this trip.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
10,056 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the public transportation sufficient for travelling?

Hi CIBOI, indeed public transportation is your best choice.

If you let us know a bit of your preferences or expectations maybe we can suggest activities for you do during your visit.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the public transportation sufficient for travelling?

Barcelona has got one of the best public transport systems in Europe if not the world. trying to get parking can be a nightmare so I wouldn't recommend renting a car.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
5,736 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the public transportation sufficient for travelling?

I agree: having a car will definitely NOT make your life easier!

You can always rent a car for a day if you want to make a daytrip out of the city (and even then public transport is very often a good option).

Southampton
Level Contributor
3,340 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the public transportation sufficient for travelling?

Hi, we used public transport last year. The metro is excellent, quick and cheap to use whilst we used the trains as well and they were very good. Definitely better, and more relaxing, than hiring a car.

7. Re: Is the public transportation sufficient for travelling?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2014, 05:16