We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to l'Espluga de Francolí from Barcelona by train

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
K J
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
How to get to l'Espluga de Francolí from Barcelona by train

Hi Forum,

Just wondering if anyone has any good tips for getting to l'Espluga de Francolí from Barcelona by public transport as I am staying in accomodation near there (meeting friends) and it looks like l'Espluga de Francolí is the nearest town.

Any tips on how to get there, what the cost is and how long it will take. I see from another post that the estimate is approximately 2 hours by train? is this accurate? Also what is the best way to purchase the tickets / look at timetable in English.

Many thanks in advance.

K J
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to l'Espluga de Francolí from Barcelona by train

The actual town where i will be staying is called Vimbodi if anyone happens to know how to get to Vimbodi that would be even better. If not i can get collected from lEspluga de Francoli instead. appreciate any tips.

barcelona
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to l'Espluga de Francolí from Barcelona by train

hi,

the train takes about 2 hours from l'Espluga to Barcelona...I supose more or less the same time from Vimbodí..

Here there are information about buses also:

www.vimbodi.altanet.org/inici/comarribar.php

Renfe has a webpage available in English..but it's not necessary buy the tickets before arrive....you can buy them in the station and also into the train (I suspect that l'Espluga, Vimbodí etc haven't an open station currently and you need to buy the tickets on the train)

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,548 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get to l'Espluga de Francolí from Barcelona by train

Hi again KJ...

L'Espluga de Francolí is a bit far from Barcelona (130km), and not too convenient at all to go by public transportation I must say!

It's about 2h15m by train (http://www.renfe.es) Note that you can buy the tickets at the booth at the station -same price than online, less hassle as their website is not really user-friendly!. And as you can see there are only 5 trains per day. Alternatively you can go by bus but not directly from Barcelona (I couldn't find a direct service, sorry). You'd have to go by train to Tarragona then from the bus station take a bus from the company Plana (http://www.autocarsplana.com/) to Vimbodí, which stops in l'Espluga de Francolí (autocaresplana.pesvalencia.com/Documento.asp…). But again, few per day and ONLY on weekdays. Ah yes, the reason it takes so long by train is because it does not go in a straight like from Barcelona to l'Espluga.

Since you mentioned in a different post you're coming with several other girls, I'd strongly suggest you rent a car: (1) for one it's going to make your going back and forth to l'Espluga de Francolí much much easier, (2) also you'll end up saving money because the journeys to l'Espluga add up very quickly, especially if you're a group, (3) you HAVE to explore the area as it's indeed very pretty, you have a natural park, you have one of the oldest and most important Middle Ages monasteries in Europe in the area (in Poblet), there are plenty of vinyeards worth visiting in the area, you should also visit Lleida which is not that far, etc. and (4) and most important... a major motorway passes just a couple of kilometres from l'Espluga de Francolí, which means you can go back and forth to Barcelona in just one hour!

Lastly, when referring to the town, do use the whole name "Espluga de Francolí" as there are other towns with similar names (i.e. Espluga de Llobregat, etc) and might cause confusion. A 'espluga' is a cave in Catalan language, the local language of the region.

Edited: 05 January 2014, 12:32
Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,361 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get to l'Espluga de Francolí from Barcelona by train

I'd recommend a car, too. Vimbodi is well signposted from the Lleida road north of Montblanc so not hard to find. I can't imagine that there's much to do there but plenty within easy driving range.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,336 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get to l'Espluga de Francolí from Barcelona by train

It takes more than an hour from Vimbodí to Barcelona, it's just under 130km. viamichelin states just over an hour and a half which seems more like it.

Re costings: petrol + tolls cost 27€ by one route and 36€ so that plus rental charge isn't a cheap option and parking in Barcelona is expensive. But obviously having a car gives you more flexibility

K J
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get to l'Espluga de Francolí from Barcelona by train

Thank you all for the helpful tips for getting there and things to do. Greatly appreciated. do any of you know the rough cost of going via train as my family will already be there with a car so I will not need to hire a car unless it will be cheaper. Was the 36 euros the price for an adult return or each day?

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,361 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get to l'Espluga de Francolí from Barcelona by train

Perhaps you can persuade someone to come and collect you from Tarragona station. That would make the journey much simpler. Barcelona to Tarragona is about €10. Camp de Tarragona station would be even easier though the fare would be higher.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
6,653 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get to l'Espluga de Francolí from Barcelona by train

barcelona - vimbodí by train = 9,85 euros single ticket.

3 trains per day at 7:06, 12:03 and 17:03 and takes a bit more than 2 hours. (departing from Sants,it pass by Passeig de Gracia 7 minutes earlier, so at 6:59, 11:56, 16:56, trip takes 7 more minutes from Passeig de Gracia so around 2:15).

barcelona - l'espluga de francolí by train costs the same and there are an extra train at 14:03, Sants

departing time.

now checking on RENFE web it shows a train at 19h ... not sure if it runs or not cos renfe web is quite

check schedule here: http://www20.gencat.cat/portal/site/rodalies

by bus there are a bus daily. departs at 16:50 from Sants bus station. and takes around 2:30.

Edited: 06 January 2014, 18:03
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,336 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to get to l'Espluga de Francolí from Barcelona by train

36€ (or 27€ by the other route) was the cost one way to drive from Vimbodi to Barcelona. Obviously that's a lot more than the rail fare for one or two people

K J
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to get to l'Espluga de Francolí from Barcelona by train

Thanks guys. Greatly appreciated.