We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train to Paris - is the TGV the only option now?

Kyogle
Level Contributor
218 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
train to Paris - is the TGV the only option now?

Hi,

I need to travel from Barcelona to Paris on March 22 (family of 4).

The cost of the TGV is 400 Euros.

I can't seem to find any other train option other than an overnight train. Is there one?

Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
93,811 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train to Paris - is the TGV the only option now?

At the moment, tickets on the 16.20 departure on 22 March are available for €70.20 each. That is a very reasonable price for a 6h25 journey of over 1000 km. If you do not buy quickly, the price will go up.

There is no other train option. The overnight train from Barcelona to Paris has been discontinued.

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Kyogle
Level Contributor
218 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train to Paris - is the TGV the only option now?

Thank you. I will get onto it. The Loco2 site was telling me the tickets weren't available yet.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,297 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train to Paris - is the TGV the only option now?

It might be cheaper to fly. Check www.vueling.com and buy midweek in advance for the lowest fares.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
22,327 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train to Paris - is the TGV the only option now?

If you want to get to Charles de Gaulle Paris then look at Easyjet. Will probably be a good option. I fly them and like them.

http://www.easyjet.com

Mentioned in this post
Charles De Gaulle Airport
Charles De Gaulle Airport
Roissy-en-France, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
9,066 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train to Paris - is the TGV the only option now?

The alternative to the TGV is this:

1) Take the regional train at 15:00 from Barcelona to Latour de Carol, €11, fixed price, buy on the day.

2) Then the 20:20 overnight Intercité de Nuit overnight couchette train to Pars Austerlitz arriving 07:22. Fares from €35 including a couchette, www.loco2.com or www.capitainetrain.com

However, booking 2-3 months ahead you'll normally find Barcelona-Paris fares from €59 at www.capitainetrain.com or loco2.com.

Booking isn't open beyond 28 Feb if you use www.loco2.com or Rail Europe due to a glitch with Rail Europe's Euronet system that sits between these websitesand the actual SNCF Reserail ticketing system, but if you use www.capitaintrains.com or en.voyages-sncf.com (which connect directly to Reserail with nothing in between) you'll find booking open until 30 March, so do that!

Edited: 08 January 2014, 09:36
Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Europe
Europe
World
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
22,327 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train to Paris - is the TGV the only option now?

Mark.. I find booking that route via Latour so difficult so I wonder how Melman the Giraffe is coping? Out of interest does the overnight train from Cerbere Portbou on the Spanish French border operate and is this an option?

Kyogle
Level Contributor
218 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train to Paris - is the TGV the only option now?

Thank you for that info, the overnight train sounds interesting. But I must be doing something wrong - I can't find it at all on capitainetrain and on the loco2 site, it doesn't seem to be available on 22 March which is my day of travel.

If I travel on the 21st, the total fare is 422 pounds which is more than the TGV.

On the voyages-sncf I can't find an overnight train at all.

Totally confused and clearly not very good at this.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
22,327 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: train to Paris - is the TGV the only option now?

Melman...I have just looked again and cannot see any 20.20 overnight from LATOUR DE CAROL ENVEITG to PARIS on a INTERCITÉS night train although can see them running until end of February. Am wondering if these trains are not yet posted on French Railways or they only run during the ski season or something.

I think that if you do not mind flying it can be quicker and cheaper. I looked at EASYJET and for Saturday 22nd March you have some good fares but check the extras like luggage. Or just use the TGV 16:20 that SydneyNick mentioned back on Message 1 ?

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Kyogle
Level Contributor
218 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: train to Paris - is the TGV the only option now?

Thanks for all the help. At least I have a few options to explore now. I suspect we may look into flying this one as we have plenty more opportunities to train on the rest of our trip.

10. Re: train to Paris - is the TGV the only option now?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2015, 05:21