We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to pack, warm or cold?

cheshire, england
Level Contributor
45 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
What to pack, warm or cold?

Hi we are coming for 3 nights next week, anyone know what the weather will be like at this time of year, are we talking wrap up warm or light weight coat? We are also looking for a good restaurant to book on sat night any around the hotel mercer area that are good, I have looked but there are so many any suggestions are greatly received. Thanks.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,980 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to pack, warm or cold?

The BBC shows highs of up to 16C next week with nighttime lows down to -2C (on 18th). Not much in the way of rainfall but steady westerly winds. I'd probably wear what you wear in Cheshire at the moment. I think UK nighttime lows for the last few weeks have actually been higher. I would guess it will be pleasant in the afternoons but locals probably won't be out and about in t-shirts and shorts.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,593 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to pack, warm or cold?

Well guessed Chris (about the locals not being in T_shirt/shorts combo!). We are all in padded jackets at the moment, especially if out and about earlyish morning or after sundown.

-2 is very low for Barcelona, maybe that is forecast for Tibidabo rather than in the city centre.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to pack, warm or cold?

Yesterday I came back home quite late (past midnight) and I do not know what temperature actually was, but it felt like freezing despite wearing my padded coat... LAYERS is the word.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,922 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What to pack, warm or cold?

meteo.cat/servmet/…barcelones1.html

This is from the Catalan Weather Service -best there is to predict weather in this area!- and prediction for next week is between 7º and 15º all week, no rain and a bit cloudy... now you know! :)

Btw, 'a bit cloudy' does not compare at all to a British 'cloudy forecast', in the UK clouds do mean clouds, in Catalonia clouds just mean (normally!) that you won't have sun all day if you catch my drift.

Having said all this, and in tune with Belsaita's post, note that even if you have say 10-12º at 6pm, it can "feel" cold as Barcelona being next to the sea can be very humid and humidity at 10º makes you shiver!

Edited: 10 January 2014, 03:30
Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
59,163 posts
3,577 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to pack, warm or cold?

penny:

Dress in layers because in many museums and stores they keep them too warm and you may need to remove your coat.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,980 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to pack, warm or cold?

I don't know where the BBC forecast for Barcelona applies. The website says, not very helpfully, "When you search for a location or UK postcode we provide the most meteorologically appropriate forecast to the place you choose.". I would say that for Barcelona, Tibidabo is perhaps not the most meteorologically appropriate but who knows. They've reassessed to -1 C for both Sunday and Monday of next week now, so watch out for a bit of frost. The roof of my car was iced last night at about 23:00 with the temperature gauge showing +3.5 C.

I think that the temperature difference atop Tibidabo in calm conditions should normally be between 1 and 2 C. The effect of wind, perhaps more likely at higher elevations could make for a more noticeable perceived difference. Still likely to be fairly chilly outside for much of the day so layers is definitely the answer. I'm off to the seaside this weekend and will be wearing at least three when I'm outside.

cheshire, england
Level Contributor
45 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to pack, warm or cold?

Thanks for that lots of layers it is!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,922 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What to pack, warm or cold?

For info... Barcelona has quite a temperature inversion from one side of the city to the other (I think they call them 'heat islands'). It's not that the city is so large but instead due to the fact the city is between a sea and a set of hills. Thus, temperature in Tibidabo (at the Fabra Space Observatory to be more precise which is where temp readings are taken) might differ up to 5ºC with that in the old part of the city, the Barri Gòtic.

Btw, just in case anyone is interested on an off-the-path activity when visiting Barcelona, during summer the Fabra Observatory offers an excellent suggestion combining science and gastronomy:

infocatalonia.eu/w/… and their website http://www.soparsambestrelles.cat/home.html

Note though this is NOT a tourist activity! :))

Edited: 10 January 2014, 15:40
9. Re: What to pack, warm or cold?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2015, 06:19