We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

02 months in Barcelona? Barri Gòtic or Póble Sec?

Florianopolis, SC
Level Contributor
5 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
02 months in Barcelona? Barri Gòtic or Póble Sec?

Hy, everybody!

My husband and I are taking a course in Spanish, in March-April 2014.

We're 53 and 44 years old and we prefer to live in a quiet neighborhood, but our language school is at city center, close to Drassanes Metro Station.

We are considering two apartments to rent: one is located in Barri Gótic, at walking distance from the school.The other one is located close to Poble Sec Metro Station, wich means commuting every bussiness day to and from school.

Although Barri Gòtic seems to be the perfect location for us, we're concerned about too much noise and safety issues. Poble Sec neighborhood looks a lovely place to live in, but it has the commuting problem, day after day.

What do you think? Which one would be better for us?

Thank you!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,390 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 02 months in Barcelona? Barri Gòtic or Póble Sec?

Commute? It's about a 15 minute walk from Poble Sec metro station to Drassanes. Which ever place you pick, you'll still be within walking distance of your school.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,593 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 02 months in Barcelona? Barri Gòtic or Póble Sec?

To "commute" easily to Drassanes you can stay anywhere that is near a station on the green metro line (eg in Gracia which would be my preference, with metro at Fontana or Lesseps). As Monsieur G says, you can walk from Poble Sec.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,390 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 02 months in Barcelona? Barri Gòtic or Póble Sec?

BTW, having to walk to your school might not be the worst thing to happen to you. When I was in Barcelona, I walked almost every day between my apartment in the Barri Gotic and my school at the edge of Sant-Gervasi and Gracia – about 40 minutes one way. Those walks to and from school were often the best part of my day. To me, there's no better way of getting to know a city than walking its streets.

Edited: 09 January 2014, 19:41
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 02 months in Barcelona? Barri Gòtic or Póble Sec?

As others said, unless you have mobility issues, you can walk Poble Sec to Drassanes. Plus, Poble Sec is a very nice area to live and to walk around: many interesting buildings that are the "poor brothers" of the Modernista gems in the city centre are scattered around Poble Nou: many artisans and builders' apprentices did practice the techniques and decorations they used later in weather buildings, just with cheaper materials :)

Just a word of caution: some streets in Poble Sec can be anything but quiet. For instance Carrer Blai is getting very popular and it's full of restaurants and bars and can be VERY noisy especially on summer nights.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,903 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 02 months in Barcelona? Barri Gòtic or Póble Sec?

I totally agree with Monsieur_Ghislain's post: the best part is walking anywhere and seeing all the daily life of Barcelona passing in front of you. Having said that, I understand that having to walk too much every single day might be too tedious, so anywhere in the city which is a few minutes from any metro station ensures that you're going to move up and down the city very fast. And in your particular case, anywhere near a Line 3 (green) metro station would make it even faster, regardless whether you're at the edge of the city.

Metro map: mapametrobarcelona.net/mapas-metro/mapa-metr…

Rule of thumb: 2 to 3 minutes is the commuting time between one station and the next. Metro every 3 to 5 minutes

... so, I'd say Gràcia, and more specifically Carrer Astúries (or side streets). It's a lovely area, very homy and fairly quiet and it's literally 1' from Fontana metro, therefore, it puts you 15-18' away from your school in Drassanes.

Have an idea what's some areas are like: http://www.infocatalonia.eu/w/?s=neighbourhoods+areas

Florianopolis, SC
Level Contributor
5 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 02 months in Barcelona? Barri Gòtic or Póble Sec?

I love walking! So, have to walk won't be a problem at all... I simply haven't though about it while considering the rental issue... Your message was really helpfull, thank you for that! Best regards!

Florianopolis, SC
Level Contributor
5 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 02 months in Barcelona? Barri Gòtic or Póble Sec?

I mean, thank all of you for your messages!

;D

8. Re: 02 months in Barcelona? Barri Gòtic or Póble Sec?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2015, 06:18