We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surprise trip to Barcelona, need to make it Wow him!

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London!!
Level Contributor
26 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Surprise trip to Barcelona, need to make it Wow him!

Hey guys

Ok I'm taking the Mr on 15th March to Barcelona to watch a football game over there. We are there for two nights and I just wanted some tips from people that actually know what is good over there for a young couple (26 and 30) to get up to.

Suggestions of a REALLY good restaurant for the sat night would be great as he loves food and a good recommendation of a night out if possible too please. I saw a forum question about bars which was useful, but can anyone help out in terms of clubs?

Them basically how to fill up a day in Barcelona is the question I guess, what's a "must see"???

Trying to plan the as perfect as poss trip.

Thanks guys xx

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,347 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surprise trip to Barcelona, need to make it Wow him!

For a different sport there's a castellers event ( http://www.cccc.cat/continguts/marc-26 ) with three colles starting at lunchtime on Sunday 16th which is an easy metro ride. I don't think that Badalona is the most attractive part of Greater Barcelona but this could be an eye-opener with real wow factor. I haven't seen the two teams that have been announced so far but they will no doubt be looking to get the season off to a strong start. This will be a free event.

Standard 'must sees' and dining are well covered in the top questions section but if you are really looking for something with wow, then definitely think about making the effort to see this. You might even be asked to help which is an unforgettable experience.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,519 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Surprise trip to Barcelona, need to make it Wow him!

Some ideas for a night out: infocatalonia.eu/w/… , for a tour of the city: infocatalonia.eu/w/… and for a bars/restaurants: timeout.com/barcelona/bars-and-pubs/best-bar…

Still, Pandachris suggestion is a unique opportunity to see something very local, not to be seen outside Catalonia -the region you're visiting.

Edited: 14 January 2014, 14:52
Leipzig, Germany
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Surprise trip to Barcelona, need to make it Wow him!

As far as the nightlife, I always enjoyed going out more in the Gracia/Eixample area than any other. I think it is a little more classy than the more touristic oriented clubs and bars down by the beach. Also, it is a lot of fun! One of my favorite clubs was The Sutton Club. It can be a little posh and you need to be dressed well enough to get in, but I always enjoyed the music and atmosphere. Ultimately, it depends on your taste... One of the restaurants that is pretty well known in Barcelona is called "La Flauta." It is really good and almost always crowded so you may have to wait a little bit when you get there or just arrive a little earlier (around 8:00 or 8:30).

The Sagrada Familia, Las Ramblas, La Boqueria, and all of Gaudi's stuff are really the "must sees." But, the truth is that Barcelona just has soooo much to see. Do the kind of things you really like! http://www.apshawaya.com/barcelona.html

London!!
Level Contributor
26 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Surprise trip to Barcelona, need to make it Wow him!

Ooooh this sounds great! Thanking you :)

London!!
Level Contributor
26 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Surprise trip to Barcelona, need to make it Wow him!

Hey, what kind of music was the Sutton club hun? I'm thinking a dressed up night might be a nice change :)

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,519 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Surprise trip to Barcelona, need to make it Wow him!

There's not many "dressed up" clubs here in Barcelona, certainly not in the likes one sees in London or Manchester. We're way more casual -smart casual, but casual after all. Obviously no one will say anything if you decide to show up in a night dress but you might feel a bit out of place.

Look at this video and have an idea on the 'look' you're bound to encounter in most clubs: infocatalonia.eu/w/…

oi, I found this one from Sutton for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyNlXknRePQ

Edited: 15 January 2014, 13:13
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,519 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Surprise trip to Barcelona, need to make it Wow him!

btw, the video from Sutton is from a party... normally it's not so 'glamorous': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abmj9FbiYto

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
25 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Surprise trip to Barcelona, need to make it Wow him!

If you're interested in fine dining, www.letsbonus.es has some great deals on Barcelona restaurants with Michelin stars. That website takes a little work because it's all in Spanish, but my wife and I (we live here) have used the site a lot to find places to eat.

Also, I recommend Tickets. It´s a trendy restaurant started by one of Spain's most famous chefs. You have to book two months in advance through their website: http://es.bcn50.org/. The reservation system opens at midnight, Spain time....6 p.m. EST.

London!!
Level Contributor
26 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Surprise trip to Barcelona, need to make it Wow him!

Thanks @Eric M those links are GREAT!! :))

@soon2beewed that's wicked thank you, going to look at the website now x

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,109 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Surprise trip to Barcelona, need to make it Wow him!

Last week we started our night by having a couple of beers at Moritz beer factory located in Ronda de Sant Antoni. We ended our night at the Eclipse lounge bar of the W Hotel because a customer wanted to have a drink there - by the looks of your post I'd say you'd enjoy in there.