We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Travel to Paris from Barcelona

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Train Travel to Paris from Barcelona

I will be travelling to Europe in July 2014 and want to catch the train to Paris from Barcelona. I am thinking of the night train. I am travelling with my husband and 3 teenagers and Im wondering what is the least expensive way to book considering I also want train travel from Paris through to Venice? Should I get a pass of some description? I would appreciate some help from others who have done this. Thankyou.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
57,578 posts
3,576 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Travel to Paris from Barcelona

Lisa:

The AVE from Barcelona now goes to Paris.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid…

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,603 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Travel to Paris from Barcelona

So far as I know, the night train on this route has been withdrawn. There are now through daytime trains from Barcelona to Paris.

The night train from Paris to Venice is best avoided, as it is neither comfortable nor romantic. You can take a French train from Paris to Turin, and an Italian train from there to Venice. Or use a low-cost airline.

A pass is never worthwhile for the journeys you want to make. In both France and Italy, all the fast trains have compulsory seat reservations, which are not included in the pass. In addition, in France the number of seats available to passholders is strictly limited.

For the best prices on on the fast trains, book direct with the operator as far ahead as possible. Tickets go on sale 3 months before travel in France, and 4 months in Italy, and the cheapest tickets often sell out quickly. Discounted ticket prices keep going up as the travel date gets closer.

You can get French train times and costs (including Barcelona-Paris), and make bookings, at en.voyages-sncf.com/en but use Antarctic as the "Ticket collection country" to avoid being transferred to RailEurope, which may have higher prices or not list all the trains.

If you have trouble with voyages-sncf, www.capitainetrain.com is a private website which has the same prices.

You can get Italian train times and costs from www.trenitalia.com clicking on the UK flag to change to English and using the Italian names for towns

For cheap flights, use www.skyscanner.net to identity the possibilities, then book direct with the airline of your choice

Edited: 16 January 2014, 08:57
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Travel to Paris from Barcelona

When I try to book on any of these websites for 2 adults and 3 youths in 1st Class, it splits us up and puts the kids in the lower deck! Has anyone else experienced this? If I go 2nd Class, we are all together. Ive sent an email off asking why but can you tell me anything further in the meantime?

4. Re: Train Travel to Paris from Barcelona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2015, 05:15