We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location and activity advice

ireland
Level Contributor
208 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Location and activity advice

Hi we are flying in to Barcelona for 10 days in the beginning of June. We intent to spend 5 nights in Tossa de Mar and then back to Barcelona for the last five days. I am trying to decide between a beach area close to the city or Sitges. We would like to spend two days on the city sights a day in Montserrat. We like to walk or cycle with nice scenery. We would like to have a choice of restaurants and bars for the evening . We are not looking for mad night life so no into late clubs, should we chose Sitges and come into the city two days ? Would it be easy to get to Montserrat from Sitges ? We need to be at the airport for our departure at 9/00am will we be able to do this from Sitges on public transport. When going to Montserrat can we do it on public transport we would like to do a full day there with a few hours walking if there are marked trails. Is there any other close to Barcelona that would have a nice Spanish feel that I should look at ? Thank you

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
10,064 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Location and activity advice

Hola Coleen,

Both Tossa and Sitges are, as you know, coastal towns and although each one has its own allure, both are after all... coastal towns if you catch my drift. So, would you consider instead to stay in Barcelona then taking a day to visit Sitges?

1.) Going from Sitges to Montserrat requires you to go into Barcelona anyway (ie. Sants) and switch to a different station for the line to Montserrat. This answers as well your question, yes you can go to Montserrat by public transport: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187497-c79251/Barcel…

3.) If you depart at 9am you ought to be at the airport say at 7:30am, from Sitges you have either a bus or train: barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/airport/trans… but for comfort perhaps the best option is bus as the train requires you to go to El Prat de Llobregat first and then take another train to the airport. By bus it takes roughly 40' and the first one departs I think at 6am -check it anyway! From Barcelona is easier: Aerobus, regular bus, train or taxi -depending on your needs/location and/or budget.

4.) "... nice Spanish feel" don't know exactly what you mean/expect, please clarify or give me an example so I understand what you mean. In any case let me point out that if you've been in, say Madrid or Andalucía, notice that your perception of what "Spanish" is might result quite different from what you're bound to see here as this is Catalonia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalonia ), with a distinct culture and history so perhaps you're disappointed (or not!)

5.) I don't know what is the main drive of your holiday (beach?, culture?, sightseeing?... or a bit of everything??) but since you will have had already 5 days in Tossa with beach and sea, I'd recommend a different perspective for your other 5 days (actually 3, since you're spending at least a day in Sitges and another one in Montserrat, isn't it?). The city of Barcelona has plenty of things to do in many different fields: music, culture, architecture, art, museums, food... or simply strolling in different environments from the Barri Gotic to the Park Güell or the classy Eixample for example.

6.) Still, if you want yet another escapade from the city, you could consider a visit to a vineyard in El Penedès region. It's a one day escapade too. There are several options, among which Codorniu, Jean Leon or Freixenet... look for their videos and more info at www.infocatalonia.eu

Enjoy!

ireland
Level Contributor
208 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Location and activity advice

Hola,

Thank you for your great reply. I will have a lot of things to check. I could stay in Barcelona for the 5 nights instead of Sitges what area would you recommend that would have easy access for my day trips.

By a Spanish feel I mean I don't want to arrive in a resort area that is full of Brithish/ Irish Pub and restaurants but i have been to the area before Girona Llfranc and that area so have an idea what it is like and I dont want a place that caters only for 18-25 with lots of night clubs so a place with a bit of a mix I suppose.

The main drive of my holiday would be a mixture of walking, cycling , culture and sight seeing and some beach but we are not sunbathers so that would be walking too !

I do not really like the hustle and bustle of a city for 5 nights thats why I was thinking of Sitges but possibly a suburb location that would be close to a park area that we could hire a bike or walk around that would give us the feel of not being quite in the city.

Thanks for the information I will go through it

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
10,064 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Location and activity advice

For a visual response to your question: http://oi44.tinypic.com/20r5nd3.jpg Note that the red zones don't mean "no stay", they just mean (to me) that are not convenient for a short stay in the city, either too far or too rowdy or a bit seedy, but by all means one has to visit them as all have their own charm. Keep in mind though that this is a very personal response, other TAs will surely recommend different things and probably equally good (or better!)

Ok, I get what you mean now. I pointed out that this is Catalonia, a region with its distinct culture, language and ways of doing things which because it is quite different from the stereotypes one might have seen in Hollywood movies about 'a typical Spain'. I mention this because you might be dissapointed in finding that this has nothing to do with that. Anyway, what you mean then is that you don't want to find yourself in a tourist resort full of pubs and British/Germans... that's easy then, avoid Lloret de Mar and Calella to the north, and Salou and Cambrils to the south. The rest of the towns, albeit tourism is present, they keep their own personality -in different degrees of course!

If you don't like the bustle of a city, you can indeed then base yourself in Sitges, infocatalonia.eu/w/… or Vilanova i la Geltrú (8km from Sitges and reachable by train too!) and then do the excursions from there, simply adding an extra two hours (one to go to Barcelona, one to return from it) but easy enough otherwise. However I would like to point out that Barcelona has many different districts and some of them are very tranquil, far from the rowdy centre. Areas like Gràcia, infocatalonia.eu/w/… or Sarrià, Sant Gervasi or Bonanova ( …wordpress.com/2012/03/barris_bcn.jpg ) are full of hotels. And within the city, there are many activities which do not require you to go to the city centre, for example: infocatalonia.eu/w/… or infocatalonia.eu/w/… among many other.

Some ideas if you like nature: http://www.infocatalonia.eu/w/tag/nature/

and some about other towns you could visit in a day excursion:

GIRONA : http://www.infocatalonia.eu/w/2013/11/30/ben/

FIGUERES : infocatalonia.eu/w/… -note this and Girona are very close

SITGES : infocatalonia.eu/w/…

MONTSERRAT : www.infocatalonia.eu/w/2013/11/30/montserrat/

TARRAGONA : infocatalonia.eu/w/…

VIC : http://www.infocatalonia.eu/w/2013/12/17/vic/

BESALÚ: www.infocatalonia.eu/w/2013/11/30/besalu/

ROSES: www.infocatalonia.eu/w/2013/12/15/roses/

Edited: 17 January 2014, 22:42
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
10,064 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Location and activity advice

oopsy, Sitges slipped into the last list :)

5. Re: Location and activity advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2015, 06:18