We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short Trip (8dys) - Barcelona, Paris & Venice (1st time)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Short Trip (8dys) - Barcelona, Paris & Venice (1st time)

Hi there, my husband and are wanting to fly to Europe this September. We live in Melbourne, Australia & this is our first time to Europe.

We have a total of 10 days, but we understand that 2 days will be taken travelling to and from Europe.

So we were thinking 3 days Barcelona, 3 days in Paris and 2 days in Venice.

Yes, this is way too much to do in 8 days. I understand that each of these cities could be done alone in 8 days, but we don't have the luxury of this. We will not be returning back to Europe anytime soon as we have 3 small children under 5 years of age financially we won't be able to do this in a long time.

What is the best way to fit in these 3 places?

What is your advice in making this work?

How should we travel between countries & in what order?

Our novice idea was to fly Melbourne to Barcelona, stay 3 days then do an overnight train to Paris. There stay 3 days, then overnight train from Paris to Venice. Here stay 2 days then fly out from Venice region to Melbourne?

The aim of our trip is to have a short romantic European getaway. To walk around and enjoy where we are, see beautiful sites, immerse ourselves in the new environment, enjoying great food.

Please note we are not architecturally or art inclined but not adverse either. Our only desire is to have lunch/dinner at Eiffel Tower. Yes, we are simple, young people, in our late 20's.

Thank you in advance for your helpful tips.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Short Trip (8dys) - Barcelona, Paris & Venice (1st time)

Hi Emma,

I would check the flights to decide the order. You might find flying to Paris is easier than Venice or Barcelona. I recently went to Melbourne from Barcelona with Fly Emirates (Barcelona - Dubai - Singapore - Melbourne), but I think you can also get direct flights Dubai-Melbourne.

There is also a high-speed train Barcelona-Paris (AVE), you can find discounts if you book in advance www.renfe.com or in sites like www.rumbo.es or www.logitravel.com (although they are only in Spanish).

There are also lots of cheap flights, but if you really want to travel by train, I think your best option is BCN-Paris-Venice or viceversa, just as you said (Barcelona-Venice would be easier by plane)

Edited: 20 January 2014, 11:51
Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
21,421 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short Trip (8dys) - Barcelona, Paris & Venice (1st time)

I agree with Clare, check out your flight options first and then decide the order.

Most people would fly between the cities you want to visit Easyjet has one of the largest flight networks in Europe so have a look at their website (there is also skyscanner as a comparative site)

vueling is the Spanish budget airline so does Paris-BCN (as does Easyjet) amd BCN-Venice

I think I read that the overnight train Barcelona to Paris has stopped running now the high-speed train connects the two cities.

Edited: 20 January 2014, 13:02
Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,119 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short Trip (8dys) - Barcelona, Paris & Venice (1st time)

Check your dates. If you are likely to be in the region in later September then visiting Barcelona during La Merce might make you want to stay longer. See Top Question aside for details.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
65,716 posts
3,733 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short Trip (8dys) - Barcelona, Paris & Venice (1st time)

Vueling is a very good low cost Spanish airline that I fly often and have never had a problem with them.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short Trip (8dys) - Barcelona, Paris & Venice (1st time)

We really want to do the three cities. We understand it's going to be hectic hence why we wanted to know your thoughts on the BEST way to do it to maximise time.

We have a flight ATM (not booked) from MELB to PAR flying out BAR to MELB.

So how about an idea of keeping this flight option and then possibly going to Venice then from Venice to Barcelona, will this work?

Or other options?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Short Trip (8dys) - Barcelona, Paris & Venice (1st time)

Thank you all for your responses.

We really want to do the three cities. We understand it's going to be hectic hence why we wanted to know your thoughts on the BEST way to do it to maximise time.

So how about an idea of keeping this flight option and then possibly going to Venice then from Venice to Barcelona, will this work?

Or other options?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Short Trip (8dys) - Barcelona, Paris & Venice (1st time)

Thank you all for your responses.

Or if we do only two cities which one's Paris and Venice or Paris and Barcelona.

Knowing that we're in our late 20's, want to not go or see anything specific (other then Eiffel Tower) and walk around, immerse in culture, eat and drink and enjoy the new surroundings?

Thanks again.

Or other options?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Palafrugell, Spain
Level Contributor
1,239 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Short Trip (8dys) - Barcelona, Paris & Venice (1st time)

For the time you have I wouldn't attempt the trip by train - BCN to Paris is about 6 hours and Paris to Venice is 12-13 hours overnight (www.bahn.de has pan-European timetables). Add in the 24 hours on the plane either end (and jetlag) and that's a lot of time in tin cans when you could be exploring or sipping coffee on a boulevard. In which case, the order then just comes down to flights and timetables as to what is most convenient.

Personally I'd go for early morning flights between the cities to avoid cutting into the day hanging around the airport (you can also catch up on sleep on the plane). The first flights of the day are more likely to be on-time than the last ones and it means you land and get to see the destination immediately, instead waiting until the next morning were you travelling in the evening.

I'd make a tour on the Hop-on Hop-off buses the first thing to do to get a sense of the city before picking out two or three parts you want to explore or visit. You're not going to be able to do everything (Paris in particular is a big city) so do enjoy what you are seeing, rather than feeling pressured to run off to add another sight. Stopping and watching the world go by is one of the great delights of these cities.

If money's not tight, then take taxis rather than public transport - again to minimise waiting and travelling time. And to keep refreshed with early starts, follow the Spanish and take a short siesta midday-ish to recharge for the afternoon/evening.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Leipzig, Germany
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Short Trip (8dys) - Barcelona, Paris & Venice (1st time)

I think Saul D had some great advice about those hop on hop off buses. You can always choose to get off at sights you want to see or stay on the bus if you are just tired. I know it is a super touristic thing to do, but I always love them. Besides, you learn a lot of good history and facts about the cities.

I think you picked three great cities! You will have a great time! Just try to be mindful of where you stay, how you travel, and your efficiency in general. The easier and quicker the better. Otherwise you will arrive back to Melbourne exhausted.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,119 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Short Trip (8dys) - Barcelona, Paris & Venice (1st time)

Eiffel tower - it's pretty good. I've been up it quite a few times. La Merce's Correfoc - much better. No contest really. Have you read up on La Merce yet?

BTW - a 20-something friend of mine from Canberra came with us to Correfoc in 2004. After he'd been back to his apartment he went to hospital A&E because he thought he was having a heart attack. They actually asked him if he'd been at his 1st correfoc and when he said yes they told him to go home and have a cup of tea and a lie down.