We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help understanding castellers

Canandaigua
Level Contributor
199 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need help understanding castellers

Though I've been trying to do research, I am still confused about castellers. Is there a "season" when these events happen? I hope to be in Barcelona around the beginning of May. Will they be performing then? WHERE do they perform? Do they have specific locations or do they move? Does a group do it alone or is it always in connection with other groups? How long do these events last? Can they be found all over Spain or more in the Catalan area? As you can probably tell, I'm still quite confused about the whole experience. I'd love to see one if at all possible. Thanks for any help.

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Spain
Spain
Europe
Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,111 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help understanding castellers

Have you tried inputting Castellers in the search box above? A lot of information. Hopefully Pandachris will be around soon to guide you.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,254 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help understanding castellers

Hi. Thanks for the mention, Pontevecchio. We're just getting ready for bed before flying home from Barcelona tomorrow so won't be online much and there are others more knowledgeable than me but give me a few days and I'll try to help. Until then have a look at www.cccc.cat for loads of useful info. There should be something in May.

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
barcelona
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help understanding castellers

hi,

I also tried to help !! :-)

Yes, there is a "season"...traditionally it was from june to octuber...but nowadays it's start on February and finished on November.

Yes, probably on May it could be some "diades" (performance". Check the link provided by Panda

They performance in squares infront of the main square of the city or the village....

Usually there are 3 groups: the host (in the middle) ant 2 guests. But some times there are only 2 or more than 3...for instance in Valls they usually are the 2 locals groups only, but in Barcelona by Santa Eulalia and la MErcè there are the 6 groups of the City: Barcelona, Sants, Gracia, Poble Sec, Sagrada Familia and Jove de Barcelona.

How long it takes? nobody knows!!! :-) It the performance runs ok around 2 hours it could be a good estimation.

Castellers are typical from Catalonia, but now there are at least 2 groups in Mallorca.

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Basilica of the Sagrada Familia
Basilica of the Sagrada...
133,810 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,254 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help understanding castellers

5de8 has provided some excellent info (his name is a dead giveaway, 5de8 is a type of fairly difficult castel built by some of the bigger colles.

On the 4th May, according to www.cccc.cat there is a "Festa major del barri de la Sagrada Família a Barcelona" in Placa de la Sagrada Familia at 12 noon. It will feature, unsurprisingly, the Castellers de la Sagrada Familia and probably two other colles to be determined. This will probably be a delightful session and I would love to see it in that setting. I might have to look for some cheap flights :) Sagrada Familia are one of the smaller and newer of the 6 Barcelona colles but nonetheless enthusiastic and skilled. Also, as this is the local Festa Major there will almost certainly be other things to see and do - music, giants, monsters, dance etc. Look out for a programme. There might even be a correfoc if you're lucky.

A week later there is "Diada del local dels Castellers del Poble Sec a Barcelona" at Passeig de Montjuïc, 70 though my inclination might be to work out how to get to Sant Cugat de Valles where the four colles competing include a couple of my favourites, Castellers de la Vila de Gracia and Castellers de Reus.

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Basilica of the Sagrada Familia
Basilica of the Sagrada...
133,810 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Reus
Reus
Baix Camp, Spain
Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,254 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help understanding castellers

Looks like there are plenty of trains from Placa de Catalunya to Sant Cugat should be lucky enough to be in Bacelona on that date. Definitely worth a trip.

This wikipedia page includes a lot of useful info to complement what 5de8 has already said.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castell

I hope that you get to see Castellers during your visit and perhaps come back and tell us about the experience.

BTW - this is a "concurs" year - the main competition - and last year was a very competitive one with many colles completing large and difficult constructions and often beating their personal bests. Expect to see something spectacular.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Catalunya
Hotel Catalunya
458 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
7,978 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help understanding castellers

Sant Cugat performances usually take place in front of the Sant Cugat Monastry, plaça Octavia, plaça August or a different roman name, dont remember it well.

From the train station it is a 10 minutes walk (check on google maps for the route).

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,254 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help understanding castellers

Thanks slatkin. They might add more details and possibly a map to the castellers web site eventually.

8. Re: Need help understanding castellers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2015, 05:30