We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spanish Food

Level Contributor
3 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Spanish Food

I will be visiting barcelona for the first time during the end of march, can i know where i can find cheap and good spanish food?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,277 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spanish Food

Hola Ng and welcome to TA Barcelona,

Different parts of Spain have their own distinct culinary specialties. In Barcelona, you'll find both typical dishes as well as some distinctly Catalan ones.

About Catalan dishes:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187497-c94072/Barcel…

Here are a few links with useful info. To save money, eat your biggest meal of the day at lunch time by having a Menu del Dia (menu of the day). Some restaurants offer set lunches and set dinners too.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187497-c169370/Barce…

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,433 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spanish Food

G_m gives some good recommendations. For better prices consider heading slightly away from the city centre into areas such as Gracia, Poble Sec, Sants or Poblenou where the Menu del Dia is prevalent and Catalan dishes will often be represented. Carrer Gran de Gracia has several well-priced places that are surprisingly good for the price. They're often nice areas to explore, too.

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,086 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spanish Food

look for Menu del Dia signs at lunch time. They are usually good value local food at a set price. At night, not fancy tapas bars can offer a range of food for a good value.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,277 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spanish Food

One more useful resource, if I may. Bcnrestaurantes.com lists restaurants that offer Menu del Dia, that are considered 'Good value for money' and that give discounts/promotions.

http://www.bcnrestaurantes.com/eng

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
10,114 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Spanish Food

... and another couple of resources:

http://www.timeout.com/barcelona/food-drink

http://www.thefork.com/city/barcelona/41710

Surbiton
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spanish Food

Carrer Gran de Gracia has several well-priced places that are surprisingly good for the price.

======================================

Since we're staying on La Rambla just south of P. Catalunya, I think I can get to C. Gran de Gracia on buses 22, 24 or V17. However, it's a pretty long road - any area we should particularly look at? I'm planning to go up in the afternoon for a look round, then go to Augusta for a bus back. Preferably a different bus number, and within 75 minutes<g>.

I've saved the addresses of most of the links, both on my laptop and my iPad. I mus admit the page on Catalan dishes really had me drooling. I've only had two so fat - tomato bread (great) and Catalan sausage with beans (fantastic). I had a Crema Catalana up the coast in Blanees, but it had ice cream instead of custard. Is there a name for this? Because I want it again!

Edited: 16 February 2014, 17:49
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
10,114 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Spanish Food

exgeordie67... don't be cheap,... I'm sure you can afford a second journey on your T10 travel card if you stay more than 75', hahaha! Seriously, visiting Gràcia can be a longer experience... it's not a district with monuments or particular landmarks (only a couple or so, ie. Casa Vicens), it's rather a place to spend time strolling, visiting the little shops, having a beer and a tapa in one of the terraces in the many squares... definitively longer than 75'.

Ah yes, we Catalans are very particular with food, we love it (infocatalonia.eu/w/…) and of course, you've got to taste Pà amb tomaquet... (infocatalonia.eu/w/…)

Ice cream on crema catalana?, that's certainly a solo-flight from that restaurant :) ...a traditional crema catalana recipe:

infocatalonia.eu/w/…

Edited: 16 February 2014, 18:29
Surbiton
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spanish Food

Thanks, Enric, and I was joking about the 75'. As for the crema catalana, it's possible it was chilled custard. Since I'm used to custard being served hot and yellow, I may have been fooled by the texture and colour

We're thinking of doing the free walking tour mentioned in another thread (11am only this time of year), then straight up to Garcia. Hence I'd appreciate some advice about the upper and lower limits for wandering round.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
10,114 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Spanish Food

hi exgeordie67

When you finish the tour I'd take a bus/metro to Fontana (metro station), and start zigzagging the area initially towards Verdi Street and Plaça de la Virreina via Astúries then south via Torrijos street to the squares of Revolució and then Sol and finally Vila de Gràcia. Then left towards the main artery, Gran de Gràcia and then south to Jardins Salvador Espriu (aka Jardinets de Gràcia) where the famous Casa Fuster hotel is located. Have a drink in the bar, it's a very nice hotel!

Btw plaça=square. It's a bit labyrinthine so these are just some pointers. Have a look a the map by the city hall -it's far better than Google's!: http://w20.bcn.cat/Guiamap/Default_en.aspx and insert street "Revolucio" number "1" for zeroing into the area.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187497-d2…

Surbiton
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spanish Food

Thanks again, Enric. The map is very detailed, and I see that by clicking on "Services" it will display restaurants and markets.

I was able to follow your suggested route without difficulty. Though I have no doubt I'll get lost, and I'll just see where I end up.