We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Firefly Car Rental Barcelona - DO NOT USE!

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Peterborough...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Firefly Car Rental Barcelona - DO NOT USE!

Just got back from what was a very nice trip to the Barcelona area having had amazing weather, 24 degrees in Feb!!

All would be good except for the Firefly hire car company!

The charged me over 100 euros extra for fuel!! Since when did it cost over 100 euros to fill a small car??? This is just a way of them making money to allow them to offer supposedly "reduced" rental rates!

AVOID FIREFLY!!!! BE WARNED!!

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,600 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Firefly Car Rental Barcelona - DO NOT USE!

This is fairly normal, I'm afraid. It's a way to reduce the quotes. It's normally shown on the website, although the actual amount might not be. It's doubly frustrating when you consider how difficult it is to return a rental car empty. Who wants to break down on a motorway 3 kms from the airport because they've run out of fuel?

For what it's worth, I think the major rental companies still offer full/full which is a more customer friendly option - i.e. you return the car on full and pay a penalty if it is less than that, so for peace of mind it might be worth checking the cost of renting from one of them for a similar period, versus the cost of renting from Firefly AND adding €100. You might find it still works out cheaper to use Firefly.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,600 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Firefly Car Rental Barcelona - DO NOT USE!

Just did a quick comparison of Avis and Firefly. They don't offer the same models so an exact match is not possible but for Avis (full/full) for a SEAT Ibiza for 4 days the charge is £98. For Firefly for an Opel Corsa for the same dates and times the charge is €18. With the €100 fuel charge this brings it up to €118 which is as near as dammit £98. So the two companies end up charging pretty much the same but without the nasty taste left in your mouth because you've had to pay €100 for perhaps €60 worth of fuel.

Here's what the Firefly website says:

"Mandatory Fuel Charge

If your rental is 4 days or more you will be charged for a full tank of fuel at the time of pick up.

Where a mandatory fuel purchase charge is applied to your rental you should aim to return the vehicle with as little fuel as possible because there will be no refund for unused fuel.

This charge should amount to approx. EUR 70.00 - EUR 120.00 (including tax) depending on the vehicle model and price of fuel at the time of hire and will be in addition to the Approximate Total Price quoted for your rental. "

I wonder what vehicle attracts a EUR 70.00 charge.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Firefly Car Rental Barcelona - DO NOT USE!

One with a very small tank...

My car takes 70 litres so costs £90 or more to refill.

I'll be hiring for a week in September and going through one of the major renters/comparison sites who use the majors.

Mind some of the majors want £250 for a small car when others want £110.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Firefly Car Rental Barcelona - DO NOT USE!

And i've just done a comparison with firefly. They want €190 while via travel supermarket for similar size is under £100.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Firefly Car Rental Barcelona - DO NOT USE!

Ironically they are part of Hertz who i find very expensive anyway, but cheapest option via travel supermarket (via auto europe site) is via err Hertz. £124 which includes the excess insurance and is take out full return full.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,439 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Firefly Car Rental Barcelona - DO NOT USE!

firefly do not charge you anything if you return the car with a full tank. that is clearly stated in their terms and conditions.

as regards cost of refuelling, rental companies that have to refuel, often charge a penalty on top of the actual fuel charge. that is because there is a small amount of admin, and the need to send somebody to get the fuel. the charge is certainly not unique to firefly.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,600 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Firefly Car Rental Barcelona - DO NOT USE!

That's not the point, nakagoli. Of course they don't charge you if you return the car with a full tank. They have already charged you (€100 in Mark's case) when you pick the car up. They will be delighted if you return it with a full tank because they won't have to take it for refueling themselves and the next person to rent the car will also pay the €100 for the full tank of fuel that the previous customer just paid for. That would be a bit daft.

The point is, for rentals of four or more days, you are supposed to bring the car back empty because you have already paid €100 for a full tank.

Edited: 18 February 2014, 19:29
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,439 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Firefly Car Rental Barcelona - DO NOT USE!

read the terms and conditions. they may well charge a deposit when you pick up the car, but if you return full, the deposit is refunded! so you end up paying zilch.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,600 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Firefly Car Rental Barcelona - DO NOT USE!

Read the Mandatory Fuel Charge extract I provided above and the original post. You might be referring to short (less than 4 day) rentals. It's not a deposit. It is a charge.

Edited: 18 February 2014, 20:38
Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,600 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Firefly Car Rental Barcelona - DO NOT USE!

Here's another extract from Firefly's Ts&Cs ...

"When hiring a car with Firefly you may need to:

•return the hire car with the same amount of petrol that it had to begin with

•pay for a full tank before you take the hire car and return it without having to refill it. "

so perhaps not the level of absolute clarity you expected.