We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Firefly Car Rental Barcelona - DO NOT USE!

Peterborough...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Firefly Car Rental Barcelona - DO NOT USE!

Just got back from what was a very nice trip to the Barcelona area having had amazing weather, 24 degrees in Feb!!

All would be good except for the Firefly hire car company!

The charged me over 100 euros extra for fuel!! Since when did it cost over 100 euros to fill a small car??? This is just a way of them making money to allow them to offer supposedly "reduced" rental rates!

AVOID FIREFLY!!!! BE WARNED!!

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
18,022 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Firefly Car Rental Barcelona - DO NOT USE!

yes, I do admit that the t and c are not very clear, but it appears that there are two conflicting terms. I read the one which states the car will be supplied full and you must return full, but then goes on to talk about a fuel purchase option where you are charged up front and you return empty. so I suppose that in an odd way, we are both right?

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Firefly Car Rental Barcelona - DO NOT USE!

Firefly are unfortunately like most Spanish car rental companies, ripping people off. I returned a zafira with well over half a tank left and got charged the full E120 which is £104. Totally ripped off, thankfully had own insurance before I left or I would really have been stung. Never again.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
18,022 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Firefly Car Rental Barcelona - DO NOT USE!

yes. it is stated in the terms and conditions, that credit will not be given for unused fuel. but had you returned the car full, you would have had no charge! it pays to check the t and c BEFORE you sign acceptance of terms which you might not like.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Firefly Car Rental Barcelona - DO NOT USE!

Don't touch Firefly with a barge pole! Backstreet outfit owned by Hertz. Got redirected when I tried to book a car via Hertz on the Ryanair web site in February. When I arrived I was told I was not insured to travel to France! Been doing this for 12 years! What a cowboy outfit. Steer clear of them. I reckon they get Hertz cast-off cars

Ireland
Level Contributor
903 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Firefly Car Rental Barcelona - DO NOT USE!

Nearly every airport in Spain has a thread on the dreadful service and awful staff of Firefly. I have never seen so much adverse publicity on any car hire firm. I too have been at the receiving end of their dreadful conditions and awful staff. I visit Spain several times per year and before booking carhire I have advised the Car-Hire Brokerages that I do not want a car from Firefly under any circumstances. I suggest anybody renting a car do the same. If you want a dreadful experience then rent from Firefly.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,987 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Firefly Car Rental Barcelona - DO NOT USE!

Ironically, after posting in here already on not wanting to use them, as i don't have a credit card and don't want one (previous financial problems) i've ended up having to use Firefly as they accept debit cards.

Got a decent deal in the end and fully aware of the pick up full and take back empty policy and intend on putting the barest minimum in in the last few days before dropping car back off (will be doing enough mileage to empty it anyway).

Liverpool
Level Contributor
484 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Firefly Car Rental Barcelona - DO NOT USE!

Jon one thing you may need to check out is the excess insurance, I am pretty sure they insist you take it if paying by debit card so may well be not be worth paying for it elsewhere from a broker or directly yourself.

By the way although never used them myself and wouldn't unless no other option, they must have some happy customers somewhere, hope it goes ok for you.

John

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
545 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Firefly Car Rental Barcelona - DO NOT USE!

Thank you for all your posts, really interesting topics! Insurance, fuel, debit/credits etc are important topics in renting a car!

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,987 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Firefly Car Rental Barcelona - DO NOT USE!

John,

Everything is sorted, no deposit and no excess at all for 7 euros a day which i'm happy with.

And i will post my experiences with them in September/October when i'm back from the trip using the car.

Las Palmas de Gran...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Firefly Car Rental Barcelona - DO NOT USE!

HORRIBLE. Tras una hora literalmente de cola para recoger el vehículo , vimos como el trato de los empleados fue nefasto con el cliente faltando el respeto a los mismos como si ellos tuvieran la culpa del retraso en la entrega de vehículos. A su vez, me bloquearon 500 euros en la tarjeta cuando cartravel me dijo que serían 332 y me incluyeron en el precio 23 euros de tasas que no figuraban en la reserva inicial. Un cliente tuvo un siniestro y ni siquiera sabían cuantificar el importe a retenerle. Alquilo muchos coches al año y este ha sido el peor servicio recibido nunca. Jamás repetiré con ellos. Les aconsejo hacer lo mismo.