We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in neither green or red zones

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
199 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in neither green or red zones

I'm still unsure where to stay for our 4 night visit in May and would like some advice please before I finally book/confirm hotels.

I'm not too bothered about going out late at night and there are mostly favourable reviews of the Gran Torre de Catalunya Hotel for its location. I realise it's outside both red and green zones on Enric M's excellent map but does it really make that much difference?

For like for like facilities it also seems to offer better value than hotels closer in and is of course handy to get to the airport. Is it also better for late night noise than staying in El Born for example?

Presumably it's only about 15/20 minutes into Catalunya/Sagrada Familia on the Metro whereas could it take you that length of time to walk from some of the hotels in the Eixample or El Born?

Or have I got it all wrong and I would be spending too much time on the Metro/FGC?

Many thanks

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,183 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in neither green or red zones

tripadvisor.ca/…56338192

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,321 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in neither green or red zones

To reassure you about one question.. Sagrada Familia is much quicker to get to from Torre Catalunya than from the Born as it is only 5 stops on the blue line metro so I'd say 15mins from the hotel to Sagrada familia, 20 at most if you had to wait a long time for a train To get to La Pedrera it's even quicker, only 3 stops on the blue line to Diagonal. . There is a bus too if you wanted to see something above ground.

From the Born it's quite a walk or a metro journey that involves a change of line in both cases. It's a pretty boring walk from Passeig de Gracia to Sagrada Familia should anyone want to do it .

From Torre catalunya to Camp Nou, if that were on your list it's a short metro ride, or even walkable. Montjuic is also near. So you can see that the location is OK, if it's a lot better value go for it. Nowhere is near all the sights that people normally want to see and it's still a fairly central hotel. We live quite near it and friends of ours visiting Barcelona said they hadn't realised how near the centre we lived! There are quite a lot of hotels "uptown" away from any metro lines which are a lot more of a problem for sightseeing from.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,516 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in neither green or red zones

Firstly to mention that my map is merely a subjective view, it does not mean other zones can't be perceived by others as good as those I coloured in the map. Then, note that Lynda's point is also very valid, if you're near a metro station, you can find it's faster to move from one end of the city to the other than perhaps walking on foot a few blocks in say l'Eixample. In general terms, Barcelona is easy to travel, it's not small but not that big either and has good public transportation. Me painting specific green zones includes factoring as well: coziness of the area, perceived comfort in terms of restaurants, shops and in general variety of shops, niceness of the hood, easiness to do touristy stuff, etc. but as you can see, all of this is purely subjective hence the reason I always say my map is just "my point of view".

Plaça Espanya (and Plaça dels Països Catalans, where Torre Catalunya is located) are also good and convenient places to be and in fact, having the metro right there it puts you in the middle of the old town in say 15' plus a short stroll, or in Sagrada Família in 25'... but again, I couldn't paint the whole city green, could I? that'd have beaten the purpose of the map, hahaha!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,516 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in neither green or red zones

btw, just for info:

plaça = square in Catalan and it's pronounced "pla-SAH". The word Països above mentioned is pronounced "pah-EE-soos" ;))

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in neither green or red zones

Many thanks Lynda - that's most helpful.

We arrive mid-afternoon on a Tuesday and leave mid-afternoon on the Saturday and it'll be our first visit to Barcelona.

We haven't yet decided on an itinerary though we'd hope to include Sagrada Familia, Parc Guell, Palau Guell, La Pedrera, Casa Batllo, Palau de la Musica Catalya, one of the art galleries/museums, an open top bus tour, a guided walk through Barri Gothic and possibly the "sinful side of Barcelona" guided walk.

We'd be happy to settle for just one sight on the Tuesday - which do you think we should settle for please and should we try and see something on the Saturday morning (our flight is at 1415)?

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,321 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in neither green or red zones

You could do Palau de la música on the Tuesday morning, first guided tour is at 10 and lasts an hour so that is easily calculable (prebook online). Friends of mine have done that visit on their last morning, other visits can take as long as you want them too and normally that will be more than an hour.

From Palau de la Müsica you could get the yellow line metro at Urquinaona and transfer to blue at verdaguer, or walk to Catalunya and take the green line. Or, wqalk to Catalunya and get the red line to Espanya and then walk along Carrer Tarragona to the hotel. That probably won't take you much longer than the other option with more time in the metro. Then just train to the airport but check the train timetable and your airline's check-in rules too

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in neither green or red zones

Thanks Lynda and others

If we stay at the Gran Torre we should get there around 4 pm.

Is it worth visiting one sight then or is going on the HoHo bus a better option?

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,516 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in neither green or red zones

hahaha, I know you know Walt, but if you need to ask for directions in town to your htl please make sure you say the full name: Torre Catalunya (which btw it's the name of the hotel) otherwise nobody will understand you (Torre is just generic for tower) ;)

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying in neither green or red zones

Thanks Enric

One of my daughters is fluent in Spanish but unfortunately it hasn't rubbed off on me!!

Anyway, visit one sight or go on the HoHo bus?

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,516 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying in neither green or red zones

that's indeed very personal, I had a similar question the other day in the forums with one lady coming from Malaysia and spending only a couple of days in town, my answer was that I personally like it better to soak on the ambiance, the people and the daily life and if I have to choose, I prefer that to one sight... so my answer would yield towards a hoho instead of a sight, but that's just me.