We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short trip, best way to get around/itinerary questions?

Glasgow
Level Contributor
468 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
Short trip, best way to get around/itinerary questions?

We're arriving in Barcelona next Saturday(22nd March)around 8pm, what's the best way to get from the airport to the Andante hotel in the Raval area? We'd rather just get to the hotel as quickly as possible so we still have a few hours for dinner etc on the Saturday night so we're thinking taxi, I've seen on a couple of threads that it's anywhere between 25 euros to 50 euros to the city centre, which is right?

It's my partners 30th Birthday on the Sunday and he wants to see Camp Nou, are we best buying tickets online and printing off or just wait until we get there? I also noticed that the stadium is only open from 10.30am-1pm, are there timeslots for the tour or can we go whenever we like in this time frame?

After Camp Nou, we plan to buy the hop on-hop off bus pass to get around as the East Route will take us to all the sights we'd like to see during our trip instead of trying to work out which buses go where or trying to find them on foot, Gothic Cathedral, Port Vell, Barceloneta, skip a few stops and go onto Sagrada Familia. Does this sound feasible to do in one afternoon if we want to spend around 1 hour at each of the above stops?

On Sunday night we've booked Cera 23 for dinner which is only a 5-10 minute walk from the Andante hotel, but after reading the thread on safety in Barcelona I'm a bit worried that we shouldn't be walking around this area at night?

Any suggestions or advice welcome, thanks.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,753 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Short trip, best way to get around/itinerary questions?

Hi Michelle,

Most comfy: a taxi (40€); cheaper bus #46 airport-Plaça Espanya then metro green line L3 from Plaça Espanya to Drassanes, then 200m walk. At the airport, buy a T-10 travelcard for zone 1 (roughly 10€) which will allow you to take bus/metro/tram in this area (in which both the airport and the city are located!) and can be shared with your byf (barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/faq/transport…) Taxi: in principle it should be 27-32€ plus the airport supplement (4.20€) but that's for the cheapest fare 1 (working days 8-20hrs). You're going to land on a Saturday after 8pm, which means you're going to be charged fare 3, the most expensive (+50%), hence the reason I'm estimating 40€ or even a bit more. You can calculate the estimated cost at amb.cat/s/…web-version.html where you can get a more exact response to your question. Note though that I am very skeptical of the result... it says 29.55€ but I bet my arm you'll end up paying nearly 40€. For starters I doubt they're including the complements here (in/out airport = 4.20€). Let us know.

For a visit to the FCB stadium+museum you don't really "need" to purchase in advance in March although if you do you ensure you're not going to queue in case a load of buses happen to bring visitors that day -Barcelona is an all-year-around tourist destination. I do believe you can enter anytime you want during that slot. The reason why that particular day is only during the morning is because there's a game in the afternoon, which by the way is 'the' season's game, no other than FCB vs Real Madrid. Should FCB win the game you should head for the top of La Rambla at around 11pm and you'll see how fans celebrate it.

Sightseeing of the old city (Barri Gòtic) or the Gràcia district has to be done on foot because the small streets wouldn't allow for buses to circulate. Where the barcelonacitytour website says "East route: Gòtic" do read: we'll cross the district by one of the main arteries -named Via Laietana- but you won't see squat of this area unless you get off and walk into the small streets and alleys :) If you like walking, I suggest you take a hoho in the morning to get to know a bit those areas of the city you won't have time to explore and then in the afternoon I'd do a walking tour on your own.

If you like strolling, Barcelona is definitively your kind of city, and if you're staying only for a short period I'd probably spend most of it exploring and wandering about instead of visiting too many specific landmarks. You should indeed visit Barri Gòtic but there are other interesting areas to discover (i.e L'Eixample, Gràcia, Montjuïc...), have a peek here to see some of them: http://www.infocatalonia.eu/w/?s=neighbourhoods+areas and get your bearings here: …wordpress.com/2012/03/barris_bcn.jpg

A good strolling for a first visit to the city could start in Diagonal corner with Passeig de Gràcia -the poshest boulevard in the city- and head south towards Plaça Catalunya -considered the centre of Barcelona- and into the old part of the city, the Barri Gòtic: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit… This route, walked in a veeeeeeery relaxed way and stopping to admire different landmarks along the way -and perhaps a bit of window shopping too :)- would take you a good 5 or 6 hours. Don't forget to take a good travel guide with you so you can grasp the stories behind what you're seeing along the way -or even better, join a guided tour!

If you'd like to see what are like some of the landmarks/attractions/neighbourhoods in the above map, search for them here: http://www.infocatalonia.eu and don't forget also to check the Barcelona Tourism Agency and its City Council websites for more information: http://www.barcelonaturisme.com/ and http://www.bcn.cat/

These are some examples of the architecture you'll find across the city: infocatalonia.eu/w/…

There's no major issue on safety although indeed the area of El Raval is a bit seedy late at night, but seedy doesn't mean dangerous it just means you watch out and don't wander into dark alleys ;)

Enjoy!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
468 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short trip, best way to get around/itinerary questions?

Hi, thanks for all the information and links!! I think we'll try and get a quote from one of the taxis sitting at the airport and if he says more than 30 euros we'll go for the bus then metro, I didn't realise it was so simple.

We're going to split our sightseeing into two days rather than try and see everything in the one day, we'll spend roughly 6 hours in Placa Catalunya, Gothic Quarter, Las Ramblas and Ciutat Vella, does this seem like a fair amount of time? Great advice about Ramblas after the game we will definitely do that!

On our last day we're going to get the hop on hop off bus passes but there are only a few stops on the tour we'll actually get off to spend time at, Port Vell, Barceloneta, Sagrada Familia and Tibidabo, I'm assuming when we get back on the bus after Tibidabo that it will eventually bring us back to Placa Catalunya? Thanks again :)

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short trip, best way to get around/itinerary questions?

Hola Michelle, all taxis are metered so they will not give you a "quote", they only can give you estimates. Now there are informative signs at the airport taxis's waiting area with the estimated prices to different areas in town, so there is not even need for that. Asking for a receipt is usually the best way to avoid being overcharged (most drivers are honest, but there are some rotten apples everywhere)

Bon viatge!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,753 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Short trip, best way to get around/itinerary questions?

Yes, there's a direct bus Plaça Catalunya/Tibidabo and vice versa called Tibibus (barcelonayellow.com/bcn/…t2-tibibus) but note you CANNOT use the T10 travelcard there as it's run by a private company.

5. Re: Short trip, best way to get around/itinerary questions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2015, 05:18