We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant on a hill just outside Barcelona

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
134 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant on a hill just outside Barcelona

When we were in Barcelona about 8 or 9 years ago my husband and I had lunch at a lovely place about 20 or so minutes drive outside of Barcelona on a hill with a view of the Montserrat monastery in the distance on a hilltop opposite. The restaurant was in a beautiful house that had some Gaudi design elements, and was next door to a large brick house with interesting architecture that was owned by a famous financier or swindler (can't remember which). The restaurant was lovely and the food was delicious. I don't remember the name of the restaurant and have searched but can't find anything that fits the description. Does any one know of this restaurant and if so, can you help me find info about it? We are going back to visit Barcelona and spend some time on the Costa Brava and would love to go back to that restaurant - have great memories.

Thanks!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant on a hill just outside Barcelona

Hi PAlaw... bad news I'm afraid: Montserrat can be seen from 40 miles away on a clear day... so it could be many places... and Modernism/Art Nouveau (which is the type of Gaudí's works) is present in many many places, from whole public buildings to insignificant small details in some old private houses.

Do you have more reference points? any name of any site near by? did you drive north, north west, north east? what time of the day was? where was the sun in relation to you (east/west)? did you pass other landmarks?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
134 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant on a hill just outside Barcelona

I can't remember any reference points...it was so long ago. But I must have read about the area and the restaurant in a travel guide. Fodor's? Frommers? but can't find anything like that listed now.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant on a hill just outside Barcelona

ah yes, what's really puzzling me is that you say "just outside Barcelona" and then you say "20 minutes drive".... 20 minutes drive is what, 20 miles?... for us locals that wouldn't be categorized as "just outside" :)

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
6,318 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant on a hill just outside Barcelona

could you remember any of this names?

vallvidrera

sant cugat del valles

sabadell

terrassa

cerdanyola del valles

viladecavalls

vacarisses

rellinars

matadepera

castellar del valles

well, check on google maps for that area north east of montserrat, if you remember the town then it should be easier.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
134 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant on a hill just outside Barcelona

I did more searching and it may have been near to Casa Vincens, which is the house I remember owned by an industrialist and closed to the public. So it was not actually outside of Barcelona, and the view of Montserrat may have been from some other place. Does anyone remember an upscale restaurant that was ( and maybe still is) near Casa Vincens. The interior was spacious with tables set widely apart and I remember the Gaudi "double chair" in one of the nooks in the restaurant.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant on a hill just outside Barcelona

Casa Vicens, not Vincens ;) That's in the neighbourhood of Gràcia... and now I can't recall what restaurant could it be. There aren't many upscale restaurants in Gràcia, but again, "near" is so subjective.... it could well be in Sant Gervasi. What kind of cuisine anyway?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,216 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant on a hill just outside Barcelona

I doubt that you would be able to see any mountain or Abbey from Casa Vicens, I seem to remember it being built up all around it and it being surrounded by fairly nondescript, unremarkable buildings

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
6,318 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant on a hill just outside Barcelona

botafumeiro is the only upscale restaurant i know around there.

casa vicens has been just bought by Morabanc, a bank from Andorra, and will open its doors to the public someday.

on casa calvet, designed by gaudi too, there are a restaurant.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,216 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant on a hill just outside Barcelona

Are you sure it wasn't somewhere on Av Tibidabo which is a steep hill with lots of villas at the back of the city, some of the villas are converted to hotels, restaurants, and bars and some might have a view of the Temple del Sagrat Cor on top of Tibidabo mountain?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
23,958 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant on a hill just outside Barcelona

I thought of Casa Calvet too but it's far from any of the areas described by PAlaw. And Gaudi furniture is not that hard to find or buy; I was walking along the waterfront in Venice, Italy last week when suddenly I saw this

https://tinyurl.com/puft2bc outside of a small shop. I thought to myself: Wherever I go, Barcelona calls me.

Re: Doff's idea, perhaps the restaurant was Asador de Aranda (PAlaw would remember the food if she went there) or Can Cortada? bcnrestaurantes.com/eng/barcelona-fotos.asp…

or Can Travi Nou? bcnrestaurantes.com/eng/barcelona-fotos.asp…