We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

11th September

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Norwich
Level Contributor
28 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
11th September

We plan to stay at the coast for a few days and then move on to Barcelona on 11th September but I see from guide books that this is the Catalan National Holiday. How does this affect public transport please?

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,150 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 11th September

This might be of use ...

timeanddate.com/holidays/spain/catalonia-day

Forum regular Jon Hall might be able to add something because he is extending his usual September Catalunya break to take in this important day. I suspect that this year's event will be special because

1) it is the 300th anniversary of the end of the siege of Barcelona (so a solemn moment for many Catalans) and

2) it coincides with a recent increase in the passion and strength of the Catalan independence movement.

Perhaps other forum regulars will be able to predict how this will affect public transport. I would hazard a guess that there will be some because I should think many people will come into Barcelona from surrounding areas.

It should be a fascinating day. We would come ourselves but we're commited to be in Tarragona for 'the concurs' in early October so would need a whole month off work.

Edited: 27 March 2014, 13:06
Norwich
Level Contributor
28 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 11th September

Thanks very much for quick response. Will wait to see if Jon Hall can tell me more!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,215 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 11th September

It'll be a very complicated day. If you must, do come to Barcelona very very early in the morning or very very late in the evening otherwise you risk being stuck somewhere with your luggage and everything.

Norwich
Level Contributor
28 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 11th September

Thank you very much, Enric. Do you think we would be able to get a taxi from the Estacio del Nord to our hotel?

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,215 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 11th September

Unknown at this state Jen... you see, it all depends what kind of activities are announced for this year's commemoration, not the official or rather institutional ones (those are the same every year and they never affect traffic much) but the popular ones and this hasn't been yet neither announced nor confirmed. Note, as PandaChris mentions, this year we're commemorating 300 years of the loss of our freedoms and coincides with a recent increase in the passion and strength of the Catalan independence movement.

Let me elaborate, in 2013 for example a nearly 400km human chain from top to bottom of Catalonia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalan_Way) was organised much similar to the March for Freedom organised in the Baltic countries in 1989 which precipitated their independence from the Soviet Union. That 11th of September did cause major traffic disruptions all across the coastal line of Catalonia for the majority of the day but did not collapse traffic in the city -just a few major streets. In 2012 however, the biggest demonstration ever was celebrated in the city and over 1.5 million people flocked to the central area of Barcelona (theguardian.com/world/2012/sep/11/catalan-in…) as you can imagine, the city centre was brought to a complete stand still.

So, depending where your hotel is located and when are you arriving you might have difficulties in finding a taxi and in accessing to certain areas of the city. Where's the hotel then?

Edited: 28 March 2014, 05:53
Norwich
Level Contributor
28 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 11th September

Thanks very much, Enric, I understand much better now. I have not yet booked a hotel so need to choose one that makes sense in view of the possible problems you describe. We are thinking about staying in Tossa for a few days and travelling to Barcelona from there by bus or bus and train. I had thought the sarfa bus might be the best option to save changes - it would get to Barcelona at about 13.00. But I wonder if you think the bus might not be able to get to the Estacio del Nord?

I was looking at the Apartaments Marina near the Sagrada Familia and thinking we could get the metro or walk from the bus station if necessary. Another possibility is the Hotel Astoria which is 5 minutes from Diagonal Metro station. Or the new Praktik Bakery on Provenca, 5 minutes from Verdaguer Metro, so much the same area.

I think we could get a bus to Blanes, then a train from there. Would that be better or create more complications about getting to any of these hotels?

Thanks again for all your help.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
6,298 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 11th September

by train and metro you will avoid most of the problems (if there are any). last year with the human chain some roads were closed, but usually they only traffic problem is in the center of barcelona if there are any demonstration at the afternoon.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,215 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 11th September

As I said, at this point can't say because don't know what will be organised... still, whatever it is it's bound to affect Eixample (in/around Passeig de Gràcia) and Barri Gòtic... and as Slatkin wisely put it, likely in the afternoon. But since you've got to book now, I'd go ahead and book... worst case scenario it'll take you a while longer to reach the hotel :)

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
183 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 11th September

We visited Cadaques last September. We departed Cadaques on September 11 for Madrid. We were warned about the potential for disruption.

We were in a rental car which we dropped at the Girona. We then traveled by AVE to Madrid and did not visit Barcelona.

We saw absolutely no signs of the "hands across Catalonia" mentioned by many. We saw no disruptions.

This year may be different.

Norwich
Level Contributor
28 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 11th September

Thanks everybody,

I think I will go ahead and book and then make decisions about transport nearer the time. I may well need to ask more questions here in due course. I am really grateful for all you have told me.